Chapter Eleven

Sebastian tried to get me to go home, and I refused. That's how I got here, curled up on Remington's lap, half-asleep. He's passed out beneath me, head tipped back onto the chair. His breath hits the side of my face as I'm pressed against his chest. Emerson's machines read that everything in fine, and I let out a little sigh of relief. When Emerson gets out of the hospital he'll be in a psych ward for twenty days. I'm worried about him. I know he regrets it, but he's right. What would have happened if he was successful? I shake the thought from my head. He's here now is all that matters.

The clock on the wall reads 2:17. I gotta fucking get to sleep. I'm scared to move on Remington, afraid of waking him up. So, despite me being uncomfortable, I straighten my neck and rest my head on his shoulder. I shut my eyes, and Remington's arms move up around me. "Goodnight, Princess," He mutters, missing my cheek and kissing the air before I fall asleep. 

"Sh! You're gonna wake her up!" 

"Too late," I mutter, turning around on Remington's lap and digging my head into his neck. I whimper. "I'm tired," I complain, dragging the last word out. 

"Go back to sleep."

"But...why?"

"Good point," I sigh, climbing off of him and grabbing my bag of toiletries. I dig out my toothbrush and toothpaste, and move to the awkward sink in the corner of the room. This place is too small for Emerson and all his equipment, me, Remington, Sebastian, Stephanie, a sink, a small shitty bathroom, two chairs, and all the shit we need. 

Once I'm done brushing my teeth, I walk back over to Emerson. He's stronger today, sitting up and nursing a coffee. Still attached to a plethora of machines, though, and that's to be expected. My heart rate settles as I lean against the wall, and see him smile. For the first time since this incident, he laughs. "You're such a fucking dick," He laughs at Remington, shaking his head before looking up to meet my eyes. Upon seeing that familiar smile once more, another piece of my heart slots into place. It's been shattered too many times for me to count.

I take a Styrofoam cup full of orange juice from Stephanie with a small smile. "You're healing well," She says, looking at the stitches in the side of my head. "Looking great," I smile at her once more. I'm having trouble finding my voice today. I feel just...down with everything that's going on. Once things go back to normal I'll be okay again. 

A few doctors enter the room, and that's when I set my juice down and practically run to Remington, who's standing at Emerson's bedside. Despite his IV, he holds my hand, and Remington keep's a tight hold around my ribs. I don't listen to what his doctors are saying, Remington will explain it to me later. I don't like doctors, or even hospitals-for that matter, so his reassuring, firm hold on me helps calm the anxieties. I remain vigilant, careful not to move my hand that's holding Emerson's and bump the needle embedded in his skin. 

Remington kisses my cheek and Emerson drops my hand. "They're going to take him for a chest x-ray," He says, pulling me back. I nod, and just as I hear Emerson reply to my 'I love you', they're out the door with his gurney. 

Stephanie kisses Sebastian goodbye and then goes to take me to get food in the cafeteria. I hug the both of them goodbye before leaving. I've been extra touchy lately, and I know exactly why. It's because of what's happened with Emerson. I didn't expect it. I value every moment with these boys even more now. I love them, and I don't want anything to ever happen to them again.

Stephanie and I reach the cafeteria, and I tuck half a pair of earbuds in, playing Tonight Alive. I've been getting into them lately, good band. Stephanie hands me a bag of chips, and I whimper. "You're allowed to eat in front of me! We're humans, human's gotta eat," I nod, picking out food as we go through the line. It reminds me so much of school, and I flinch. "You okay?" I nod and force a smile at her. 

We pay and take our seats at a table. I'm anxious being away from Emerson, even if in the same building as him. What if something happens? I'm not up there. I'm down here, eating, in the cafeteria. "Hey," Stephanie says, presumably seeing the look on my face. "He's alright. He's got Sebastian and Remington, and a team of the best doctors in California. He's gonna be okay." I nod, taking a deep breath. I trust Stephanie. She's right. He has people with him, he's alright.

Code White room 304.

My heart shatters.

"That's Emerson!"