Anchor

Derek sat next to Stiles' who lay sleeping in Derek's bed. He watched the younger boy with curious eyes. He hadn't left Derek's side the entire time he was in the hospital. He'd been his usual caring self. A side of Stiles Derek had grown to appreciate. He knew Stiles wasn't the biggest fan of him but it didn't stop him from doing everything to help get a wolfsbane bullet out of Derek's arm; or keep him from holding a paralyzed Derek above water for two hours. Stiles may have been the one to accidentally poison him but he saw the regret and guilt Stiles wore. Derek would never admit it out loud but he held so much respect for Stiles. He trusted him the most out of his pack, despite what he said.

Derek wanted to reach for the brunette, his face furrowed in a restless grimace, but he didn't want to wake him.

Suddenly Stiles shot up in bed letting out a loud yet strangled scream.

Derek grabbed the flailing boy trying to calm him. "Stiles, shhh, it's okay, you're okay." Derek gripped Stiles so the boy's back leaned against his chest. His arms wrapped around Stiles torso and arm.

Stiles stopped screaming, one hand gripping the bed sheets harshly the other holding onto Derek's arm for dear life.

"Shhh." Derek hushed gently.

Stiles had sweat dripping down his face. His body ached and he struggled to catch his breath as he panted.

"You're okay." Derek spoke quietly not letting go of Stiles.

"It happened again." Stiles whispered between pants.

"The dream?" Derek asked still holding Stiles.

"It was different this time. It's the same one I had in the hospital." Stiles released the bed to wipe a bead of sweat from his brow.

"You were the one drowning in the fountain. Everytime I tried to pull you out, the water's surface would turn to ice at my touch." Stiles let go of Derek's arm and pulled away from Derek's grasp.

"I don't know what it means, but I can't hurt anyone else. If I kill you, then the pack is left without an alpha. I-I can't do that to them." Stiles' breaths became quicker and shallow.

"Stiles." Derek put his hand on Stiles' arm. The burning feeling under his hand proved Stiles' temperature had spiked again. "You need to calm down. I think your spark reacts to your emotions. You're skin is on fire again." Derek spoke calmly.

"Find an anchor." Derek wasn't sure if that would work but he didn't know how to calm Stiles down. That had always been Scott's thing.

"I-I don't have one." Stiles gasped gripping the bed with both hands this time.

"What about Scott? He's your best friend." Derek suggested.

Stiles shook his head.

Derek felt the pain Stiles was feeling begin to crawl through Derek's wrist. He didn't let go though. "What about a crush you have or-" Derek was cut off by the pain. It was more severe now. He grit his teeth not willing to let go yet.

"Th-Theo." Stiles stuttered in a whisper.

"What?" Derek frowned.

"Theo, he's in my English class. He's also my lab partner in chemistry." Stiles explained still breathing heavily.

"Okay, what about him? Tell me about him." Derek nodded urging Stiles to continue.

"I've been crazy about him since fourth grade. He's got a beautiful smile and an infectious laugh. He's really smart and always laughs at my dumb jokes."

Derek could feel Stiles' skin begin to cool down and the pain start to dissipate.

"Keep going." Derek encouraged.