Why

Derek stepped into the kitchen to find Stiles already there. The two had barely spoken over the past week. The tension was always thick when they were in a room together.

"Hey." Stiles said simply glancing up at Derek.

"Hey." Derek nodded.

"Where's everyone else?" Derek frowned looking around.

"Lydia is with Jackson. Scott and Allison are on a date and Theo took Isaac clubbing for a girlfriend." Stiles answered as he finished loading the dishwasher.

"So I guess it's just us two tonight." Derek commented.

"Oh goody." Stiles rolled his eyes.

"Am I really so bad?" Derek snapped.

Stiles turned to face Derek. "Yes." Stiles answered calmly.

Derek narrowed his eyes at the druid.
"Why?"

"We've been over this Derek." Stiles huffed.

"No, I want to know why you hate me." Derek growled.

"You've asked me that three times this week. I told you, I don't hate you." Stiles snapped.

"You're lying. Damn it Stiles just fucking tell me what I've done for you to hate me so much." Derek yelled.

"How about you tell me why you're so controlling. Why you don't trust me. Why you treat me like a child. Why everything ends in 'I told you so' or 'shame on you'. Why do you boss me around so much more than the others? Why are you always yelling at me or arguing with me? Why-"

 Why do you boss me around so much more than the others? Why are you always yelling at me or arguing with me? Why-"

"Because I fucking love you." Derek shouted over Stiles' rising voice.

Stiles blinked at Derek. "What?"

"I'm in love with you, Stiles. I realized it months ago. You're not only my anchor and my emissary, you're my everything." Derek said his tone frustrated.

Stiles shook his head frowning harshly. "No, that can't be right."

"Look, I know you think I only care because you're my emissary but that's not true." Derek's voice was quieter now. He had never been so nervous in his life, Stiles' rejection would crush him.

"You're lying. You're just saying this to keep the peace. Well let me tell you something, Hale, it's not gonna work." Stiles snapped.

"Ask Scott, or Isaac, or Theo, they know how I feel."

"No, it doesn't make sense. You're you and I'm me, there is no way you..." Stiles trailed off shaking his head.

"You think you're nothing special, Stiles but I know you are. You want to know the moment I knew I loved you? You were in my arms at Deaton's. I'd just poured that awful liquid down your throat cause you were dying. There was a moment we thought you were gone and the pain I felt was so deep..." Derek took a deep breath.