Chapter Twenty-Seven: Scars

"Baby came home today

Told me to stay away

She told me her man was afraid,

Told me I better behave,

Baby just came back around,

Told me she's leaving this town,

Said she needs time to explore,

She said I can't love her no more,"

Baby Came Home; The Neighbourhood

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hayley's P.O.V.

I wake up with my hand in Taylor's, in an effing hospital bed in Nashville. I pull my hand out of his and turn away from him, my eyes immediately starting to sting. They probably got all of the medicine out of my system and it's all Tayor's fault for saving me. "Hayley, I know you hate me, but if you died, then I never would have spoken again," he tells me from the chair he is sitting on behind my back. That sounds good, honestly; not speaking. Since I have nothing to say to him, I think I'll do that.

I am facing the door, and so I see Jeremy walk in with teary but hopeful eyes. I don't want to talk to him, either. I don't want to talk to anyone. They can't make me talk to them, either. I'm exhausted and weak, but I stand up and pull my IV bag and I out of the room. I'm shoeless, but that is the least of my worries. I have socks. I find Kat to be heading toward my room, and she stops me. "Hayley," she says bringing me into a hug. I can't be mad at Kat, it's the most difficult thing in the world, but I can avoid speaking. "Where are you going?" she asks me concerned. I shrug and continue to walk down the hall in my hospital gown.

-----

Taylor's P.O.V.

Now she won't talk. Great, just great. I screwed up badly, but at the same time I didn't. I'm so confused it hurts. I notice a slip a paper on the floor and out of curiosity pick it up and open it.

Thanks for not letting her die, I was nervous myself. York, you are getting on my good side! Congratulations! I hope you don't hate me too much, I'm only doing this is get to Gilbert, remember? It's complicated so don't ask. I'm glad it all worked out, though. I couldn't stand having to torture myself by watching your little...session...with Williams this morning, it was sick. Soon it will be Gilbert though, so don't get too attached.

Your Puppet Master and Game Maker,

'G'

I hand the note to Kat who is sitting next to me and leave the room, my eyes threatening to cry. I couldn't live seeing them together, Hayley kissing another man. I still to this day wonder how in the world I fell for her in the first place, and how she could ever love me. I mean her deep, brown eyes are memorizing, and her laugh is adorable. Her shortness makes me feel like I have to protect her more, and I want to, as well. Hayley is always changing her hair, and the gap in her teeth and her beautiful smile makes me want to cuddle her all day. I have never truly loved anyone until I met Hayley, and I just wish she could be with me and I could hold her again.

I walk down the quiet hall, trying to hold back the tears, when a familiar face spots me and stops me. "Taylor, what are you doing here?" she asks me.

"Visiting a friend," I say expressionless. She nods and gives a smile.

"My grandma is ill," Baylie explains.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I tell her annoyed that she won't just leave.

"Can we talk?" she asks me kindly. I won't let myself be fooled though. I nod a yes slowly and we sit down in a waiting area awkwardly. "I just wanted to apologize for what I said over the phone,"