Don't Say It

It didn't bother Lexi, knowing Law had never told her. She wasn't one of those women who demanded to be reminded every single waking hour of every single day. Honestly, it would surprise her more if he ever did say it. Law just didn't seem like that type of man. Not once during the time she'd spent with him did she believe he would be one to admit to something like it so openly.

But Lexi knew how deeply her own feelings ran, and she was becoming more frustrating with herself for not having gathered up the courage to openly tell him she did. Hell, it had been over a year, almost two, since she'd followed Law into this strange world of his. It wasn't the fear of rejection causing her hesitation. And to be frank, Lexi honestly didn't know what was holding her back. There was just this nagging doubt at the back of her head, that this was a big deal, and she shouldn't take it lightly.

Lexi had never confessed to her boyfriend, simply because she just didn't feel that way. They'd been together, sure, but nothing had ever ventured into anything more serious than the occasional sex. There wasn't the distinct emotional attachment that Lexi now felt towards Law, in a way that made her feel extremely vulnerable, yet extremely satisfied all at the same time. It was...nice...to know that she'd found that feeling in someone else.

Realizing that the longer she held in the desire to tell him, the worse this apprehension would become, and the worse she would feel simply keeping it to herself. Lexi wanted him to know. She wanted him to understand just how deep her heart longed for him when he was away for even a short time, and how every time they participated in a battle, she prayed that he would return safely, in one piece. Things like that weren't just simple attraction, and it was becoming increasingly obvious to her that the time had come for her to say something.

Lexi wasn't one to switch gender roles around too much, not out of the desire to keep things traditional, but she was simple rather shy when it came to the fluffy, cutesy aspect of a relationship. Hell, it felt weird simply calling it a relationship. The label felt juvenile. Immature, even. It ran deeper than that. It was...if she absolutely had to put a name to it...a partnership. And the strength of trust in that partnership ran larger than any ordinary team.

So it was with the utmost caution and hesitation that Lexi sought to tell Law exactly what she felt for him. But it wouldn't be easy.

Lately, Law had been rather busy with preparations for departing—alone, mind you, for a place called 'Punk Hazard.' Lexi wasn't quite sure what that meant, or the implication of it, but based on the way Law had determinately gone about updating all there was to the crew's medical files, ensuring they were in peak physical condition, and stressing the importance of training to the rest of the crew, it was a major event. There wasn't often a day when he returned to his quarters for more than a shower and change of clothes, before he was back out wandering the sub, finishing preparations and taking inventory.

A majority of the time, he wouldn't come back to sleep until well past the time Lexi already had, and she rarely woke up beside him either. The impression and faint warmth that was left on the comforter beside her every morning made it apparent he was at least sleeping, but she was beginning to miss him. Who knew one could go days without seeing someone on such a small vessel?

Thankfully, as things were beginning to fall into place, and the Captain was running out of lists to check, logs to report, courses to plot and navigate, medical records to update, and just things to do in general, she brunette began to see more of him. Yet another reminder that she'd been missing him as of late.

That night, he'd actually gotten back to their shared quarters within a reasonable hour, interrupting Lexi's reading as he entered the door. She glanced up in surprise, noting the tired expression he wore as he took off his hat and walked to the bathroom adjoining the room.