I Will Turn This Car Around! (Pt. 1)

"Ok, I should have everything we need." Lexi did a checklist on her fingers, just so she could be sure. "Bags packed. Truck filled with gas. Hotel reservations. Maps. Phone." She patted her jeans pocket. "Keys." Again, patting her front pocket.

"Anything else?" Shachi asked, holding a suitcase of clothing for him and Penguin.

Lexi stood there, racking her brain, but nothing else came to mind.

"Arrangements for Nana!" Brittany called from the kitchen, before appearing around the corner, the elderly woman trailing just behind. "All taken care of."

Lexi nodded. "Don't forget to give her the medication every night and morning, and she doesn't eat big meals during the day, but make sure she still eats. Sometimes she forgets. Oh, and you got the therapist's phone number that I gave you yesterday, right? But if anything happens, you can call-"

"Alright, alright! Calm down, everything will be fine." The black-haired woman teased, poking her friend in the head with one finger. "And don't worry about Bepo either. I'll come over several times a day to make sure he's got enough food and stuff to do."

"Thanks." Lexi sighed with relief, nodding in appreciation. There was so much to plan and so much to think about when going on road trips, but road trips with pirates from another dimension, plus a delusional grandmother added into the mix, it tended to complicate things.

"Take a breath. You haven't even left the house yet." Brittany laughed, waving Nana to follow her. "Come on, let's get all your stuff in my car."

"Oh, Lexi. I hope you have fun on your trip. Send a postcard, but write in code! You never know when our communications will be tapped by those commies." The elderly woman warned, wagging a finger in her all-knowing way. Brittany lead them both out the door, leaving Lexi with Shachi.

"Oh man...I just hope I haven't forgotten anything." She stressed, running her hands through her hair. "And that I'm not making a huge mistake by doing this."

"I'm sure everything will be just fine!" Shachi encouraged, giving her a thumbs up. Lexi had her doubts, but was unable to voice them as Penguin and Law descended the stairs into the foyer.

"Everything is packed." Law confirmed, followed by a nod from Penguin.

"Great, let's get it all in the truck." She instructed, doing a double check of the kitchen one more time before heading out the front door.

After everything was stuffed into the back of her truck, then covered with a canvas tarp in case of rain, Lexi gave Nana and Brittany a hug, before sending them off with a wave. Despite knowing that her grandmother was in good hands by staying with Brittany, Lexi couldn't help the anxiety that rose from not having her in her sights.

"Alright, everybody in!" Lexi finally called, gathering the others into the truck, before turning on the ignition and clicking her seat belt.

"How long is it gonna be before we get there?" Penguin asked, leaning forwards from the backseat to watch as they reversed out of the driveway.

Shifting gears and turning the wheel, Lexi relaxed in her seat. "About 10 hours driving, but it'll be longer since we'll stop for lunch and dinner."

"Jeez, that long?" Shachi seemed a bit disappointed, as if he'd expected to be there in a half-hour.

"Yup. You'll just have to find something to entertain yourselves with until we get there."

____________________

"I spy...something green."

"Grass."

"Dammit."