Allies

"Please, just lay down." Lexi instructed the wolf mink, seeing him grimace in pain from the excess movement. The slash across his torso was severe, and Lexi's bandages could only do so much.

"I've got to...urgh...rescue Duke Dogstorm." He groaned, almost howling from the stretching of his stitches. Lexi placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, slowly pushing him to lay back down in the improvised medical cot; meaning, a blanket placed on the ground to indicate an empty bed.

"With all that gas out there, there's nothing you could do for him." She said sadly, eyes downcast in shame. She'd been on little help here, bandaging and stitching wounds, while the real threat was out there among all the fighting, whoever this 'Jack' guy was. She hadn't seen his face, but the horror stories of the wounded she attended to had painted an ugly picture.

"But-" The wolf mink tried again, and Lexi shook her head sadly.

"You need to regain your full strength before going back out there. You'd be of no use with that injury." She tried explaining, gesturing to the slash on his chest. He glanced down ashamedly, finally closing his eyes and nodding his agreement.

"Nurse!" Someone called out amongst the dozens of wounded on the floor of the 'infirmary.' Really, it was just a cleared-out room in the fortress, out of reach of the gas itself, with enough space to house the multitudes of casualties that were seeking treatment. Smoothing back her disheveled hair, Lexi stood with a reassuring, tight smile directed towards the wolf and went off to find who had called her.

____________

Three days of endless nursing, both to minks and Heart Pirates alike. Thankfully, a few of the uninjured pirates who had a little bit of medical training were there to help her, but seeing as Lexi had been training under Law for quite some time, and the most extensively-trained medics in the crew were all currently dying of the poison gas, she was the appointed doctor in charge in the interim.

She staggered a few steps, gripping onto a nearby table for support. Her vision swam, and she groaned. It had been awhile since she'd had a nap, but there were still people to help, antibiotics and pain medication to distribute. Now was not the time. Shaking off the fatigue, she stumbled away towards where the cry had come from.

They needed a miracle. Desperately.

____________

"Lexi-chan!" One of her crew mates helping with the nursing cried, pointing out one of the glass windows of the room. "Lexi-chan, look!"

Finding the strength to run over, she peered out, along with several other members of mink and pirate alike, to see the skies above the forest and the ruined city. The green-colored poison was now being overtaken by a lavender-colored, unknown gas. As they watched, the two gases began to intermingle in the air, shifting and separating again, until both began to fade from view, and the sky was a clear blue again.

"Is...is the poison gone?" She asked no one in particular, eyes darting back and forth to try to see what had happened. There was no indication of the cause.

"What happened?"

"Is Jack back?"

"What was that purple stuff?"

The commotion of questions behind her, both from the conscious patients and her fellow medics, was beginning to give her a headache. She turned and pointed back to the room. "Keep treating the wounded! Just because the gas is gone doesn't mean people still aren't dying of it!"

Her declaration had its affect, and the others rushed to the sides of patients again, helping to ease the pain and bandage open wounds.

Lexi's eyes returned to the sky for just a moment before returning to the patient she'd been helping, wondering what in the world was going on.