Lexicon, Beeps, and Satchel

Texting isn't that hard Law. Just type out your message. I can't answer calls all the time but I can respond to texts pretty much whenever. What's going on?

Lexi deadpanned at the four missed calls from Law in the past half hour, trying to pay attention to her organic chemistry class. The professor was lecturing on this week's concept, and the brunette hadn't been very attentive throughout the class so far, having to preoccupy her mind with the calamity that could be happening at home.

The two people sitting adjacent had glanced her way after the second phone call she'd tried to hide, furiously pressing the 'ignore call' button to stop the vibrating. Now, after several minutes of neither another call from Law or a text of any kind, Lexi was getting a bit worried. Keeping a close eye on the lecture on the board, sneaking stray sentences and notes in her notebook in front of her, Lexi's leg tapped the ground impatiently, risking long stares at her phone for any sort of response.

Another ten minutes went by, with no response from Law. Then:

when are you coming home

Lexi frowned, feeling as if that question was oddly worrisome.

My last class ends at 4:45 today. Is something wrong?

Another long pause before:

i don't know

Ok, what is happening?

theres a beep noise

Lexi's frown deepened as she tried comprehending what exactly he was talking about.

You're gonna have to be a bit more specific

upstairs

That does not help me.

its just a single beep

Still not helping

on the ceiling

every few minutes

Law you are making no sense whatsoever

they sound like explosives

what

what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Hello?

the beep sound

like some sort of bomb

THOSE IDIOTS BETTER NOT BE MAKING BOMBS IN MY HOUSE

they aren't. theres a thing on the ceiling beeping. what is it

A thing on the ceiling? What does it look like?

its a white circle. with a tiny light

Lexi thought for a long time, finally clicking in her head what in the hell he was talking about. Then, she felt like an idiot for taking so long to realize it.

Ohhhh thats a smoke detector. It probably needs new batteries. It's gonna beep like that until you put new ones in.

how do i do that

Lexi smiled, before realizing that she'd been so caught up in her conversation with Law that the lecture was now way further than it had been five minutes ago. Some of what the professor was talking about made little sense to her. Shaking her head, she typed out a quick response to him and threw herself back into her studies.