Inked

"FUCK!" She yelled, gripping the tattoo table she was currently laying on. The constant, painful sensation on her back shoulder was killing her, every single time the tattooist drew her buzzing instrument across her skin.

Law, who sat in the chair beside her reading some book or another, smirked with every outcry of pain that Lexi displayed. The tattoo artist said nothing, just kept going on the lines that would form the outline of the image.

One stroke in particular felt like it stabbed right into her bone, and she tensed on instinct. "Shit...that's hurts..." She whispered to herself, causing Law to laugh with mirth.

"You can withstand torture for days but not a little needle?"

In response, Lexi sent him a deadly glare, biting back the shout of pain that threatened to burst from her. "First, glad to hear...urgh...that you're enjoying yourself. And second...tattoo needles are like...ah, shit...like, twenty needles all in one."

"Doesn't make much of a difference." His smile grew wider, eyes finally flicking up to inspect the work done so far. "The outline's almost done. Then she'll start the shading."

For a moment, Lexi looked hopeful. It was already almost halfway done? Wow, she hadn't been laying there even an hour, she thought. It was difficult to tell time right now. "The outline is the worst part of it, right?"

Without even cracking a smile or looking in Lexi's direction, the artist shook her head. "No. Shading is worse."

Sighing with indignation, Lexi dropped her head back to the table in defeat. This was going to be awhile...

_______________

"Law...I fucking hate you right now!" Lexi seethed through her teeth, gripping the edge of the table in a death grip, knuckles white and tense. The Captain, who'd finished reading his book, was simply sat watching the artist work on her tattoo.

"You're the one who decided to get the tattoo, Lexi-ya." He reasoned, shrugging since none of this was his doing in the first place. She'd seen the jolly roger marks on the other crew members and wanted to get one as well, to feel included and a part of the crew. She already was, even without the mark, but Law could understand her reasoning.

"Yeah, but why'd you let me go through with it?" She hissed, squeezing her eyes shut against a particularly painful part of the shading. The beginnings of tears touched the corners of her eyes, but they had yet to fall. It was the first indication that she was going to cry in the entire two hour process. Even he was impressed, especially considering it was her first tattoo ever.

"Because you would have simply ignored when I told you it would hurt."

"URGH! That's not an excuse!"

"I'm sure it's almost finished, then you can go back and sleep off the pain." He reasoned, catching the artist's eye for validation. She nodded silently, already three-fourths of the way through the shading of the smiley-style jolly roger. The design was simple enough to not need a whole lot of detail, and so the entire process was rather quick.

Thankfully, the artist was quick and efficient at her job, and had Lexi all wrapped up within another 15 minutes. She proceeded to instruct her with the aftercare, to ensure it kept nicely and healed properly, before Lexi was allowed to put her shirt back on. She was careful about it, intent not to accidentally brush over the new ink with the fabric. It was covered in a thin layer of wrap, but it still hurt to the touch.

The payment was already taken care of, so the two pirates began the walk back to the submarine.

"Satisfied?" Law questioned, knowing full well she wasn't in the best of moods at the moment. Her quick glare was all he received by way of a reply, and so he let the matter drop.

________________

A good week to 10 days saw the tattoo healing nicely. It had been an uncomfortable first couple of days, with Law constantly having to make sure she wasn't accidentally scratching at it, or getting it soaked in water while she showered. Because of the placement, it also made sleeping a bit difficult, as she was forced to remain on her stomach the entire night. Lexi's habit of tossing and turning in her sleep created some unfortunate incidents when she'd wake up from the severe pain putting pressure on the new tattoo caused.

After the initial difficulty of getting used to the feeling on her back, Lexi actually began to feel ecstatic at getting it. Each time she passed the mirror, she'd turn and glance at the black mark, delicately fingering the edge with wonder. It wasn't for vanity's sake she'd gotten it. More like, it reminded her of why she had left her world to begin with and follow Law into this new one. The new friends she'd made, and the new life she'd chosen to pursue.

Lexi was brushing her hair in front of the mirror one night, well after the tattoo had healed over. The pain was very subtle and manageable, and still throbbed every once in awhile. It was bearable, though. Law walked in behind her, stopping when he saw the sleep shorts and tank top that was Lexi's pajamas. He approached behind her, and she eyed him curiously. He held her reflection's gaze, slowly lowering his mouth to the mark on her back, kissing it softly.

He'd taken to paying quite a bit of attention to her new tattoo, always finding an opportunity to gently graze his fingers against it, or kiss it as he did now. Though he hadn't ever mentioned it directly, the brunette was convinced that he was secretly thrilled she'd decided to have it done. Letting out a soft hum of pleasure, Lexi closed her eyes and leaned into him, allowing him to wrap his arms around her waist to support her. They stayed like that for awhile, Law simply inhaling her sweet scent of rose after having taken a shower before bed, and Lexi reveling in the feel of being in his arms.

Yes, it was good to be a Heart Pirate, Lexi thought.