Chapter 2: Numb

"What are those creatures?" A young male with long black hair and red eyes questioned as he looked down at a small village. He and nine others were watching the village from their vantage point up in the branches of the trees. All of them looked to be around ten years of age and were dressed in light brown robes.

The boy next to him - who had long black hair and white eyes - squinted and then blinked in confusion, "Humans, I think. We are supposed to look like that all of our lives so we can blend in? How dull."

A female with short bright red hair and red eyes - with blood-red wings - whistled, crossing her arms in front of her chest, "They are so minuscule! Do you think we can frighten them, Hikari-Suzaku?" She nudged the boy next to her, who had two-toned hair. The front part of his hair was red like hers but the back was white. His eyes were red like hers and he had majestic red wings too. He shook his head and she pouted in response.

"Let us not, alright? You should know better, Yami-Suzaku." One of them said. He was a boy with long navy-blue hair and auburn eyes. One of the other boys looked identical to him but had orange eyes and dark blue hair. His look-alike seemed upset that they weren't going to do anything.

"Pfft. You are no fun, Hikari-Seiryu. You should take a page from Yami-Suzaku and your other half." Another female inputted. She had long purple hair and black eyes. The boy sitting in the branch next to her had purple hair and green eyes. He was just gazing at the humans below them with calculating eyes.

"Why can't we have fun?" A male questioned. He had long white hair with black stripes and golden eyes. He was the splitting image of the boy next to him. He turned to his friend and grinned, revealing sharp canines "You want to do it too, right, my other self?"

"A little but we have to follow orders, Yami-Byakko." His look-alike replied, "We must not disturb the humans. If our superiors find out that we showed our true selves to the humans, they will be angry at us and they will seal us away again." At that, Yami-Byakko paled and looked down, shaking his head.

"They are not here, remember?" The first boy grinned, "We can do whatever we want! We can terrorize these humans and no one will get angry at us! What do you say?"

"We have orders, brother!" Hikari-Seiryu told him, "Do you want to get sealed away by the elders? I do not know about you but I do not wish to go back inside that awful prison."

The first boy sighed, "Fine, you win this time, Hikari-Seiryu. Let us go back to the others. Gaea will probably start pestering the others if we don't get over there soon."

Hikari-Seiryu smiled, "Of course she will."

~~~MIAB~~~

After Riku's small bout of insanity, the other boy had relaxed and come out of his room, deciding to follow Hilary to the living room. She turned on the television, wanting to know how the search was going. Riku sat down in the couch, curling up in the far corner.

Hilary pouted, hearing the news reporter speaking about how Ren Sakamoto was making a new movie and filming was already under way, "Tyson and Brooklyn could be dying as we speak and the public is more interested in Ren's new movie? What is the world coming to?"

"That's Nami's father." Riku muttered softly and Hilary turned to him, "Ren Sakamoto. He's Japanese with roots coming from China. Nami's mother Natasha Sakamoto nee Johnson is Canadian with roots coming from Argentina. Never met him officially but Nami speaks fondly of him."

"Wha-?"

"Hilary, we're here!" A voice called from the hallway.

Hilary blinked, standing up from her seat, "That's Max!"