6: Reminded

The scene was familiar to Kai. Ahead of him lay a forest. It was a majestic sight with large trees that seemed to reach the skies. The sky was a clear blue and the clouds hid most of the sun from sight. He was running, pulling a small four year old behind him. He knew that it was Rin.

Kai giggled excitedly, dragging the Rin behind him. The small little boy was looking around, his big blue eyes showing a small sign of fear, "Kai, what happens if my Mom and Dad find out that we sneaked away? They're going to get angry with us."

Kai grinned back at his friend, who was staring at the large forest with wide eyes filled with fear, nervousness and excitement, "Don't worry! Dad once took me to this forest so there's nothing bad there. It's where I met Dranzer, remember? And Dranzer will keep us safe."

Just as they neared the edge of the forest, Rin stopped. Kai released his hand, raising his eyebrow at him. Rin fidgeted with his sky blue shirt, looking down at his feet like a kid that had been chastised, "Kai . . . what happens if there's a monster in there?" He trembled, looking up to stare at the large forest.

Kai huffed, crossing his arms across his chest the way he had seen his dad do before, "Where's your sense of adventure, Rin? I know this is your first time out of your house but you should have more backbone!"

Rin looked away for a long moment before turning to look at the forest again, still looking a bit terrified. Kai could've sworn that he had whimpered, too. He reached for Kai's hand, his head lowered. Kai took it to give him some reassurance.

"Okay," Rin mumbled, refusing to look at the forest but managing to look Kai in the eye, "but don't let the monsters get me, Kai." As tough as he was in other situations, Rin was still just four years old. When you're around that age, you're still scared over the monsters living under your bed.

Kai nodded, squeezing his friend's hand and grinned at the obviously scared boy, "I promise I won't let the monsters get you, you big chicken."

Rin pouted but squeezed Kai's hand tighter, "I'm not a chicken."

Kai laughed and the two continued to walk further into the forest. Rin looked around, his eyes wide in awe as he tried to take in the scenery. It was the first time he had ventured out to the outside after all. "It's so odd," Rin muttered after a while, turning his head in all directions to take everything in, "I've never seen a place like this."

"I know! That's why I wanted you to come here. So you can see." Kai responded and turned around to face Rin.

But he wasn't there.

Kai's eyes widened in fear. He had just been there a couple of minutes ago. No, he had been there seconds ago. "Rin? Rin?!" Kai yelled. He began to run through the forest, searching for his friend. He didn't seem to have noticed that he didn't look four anymore and was back to looking like his usual self. After a while, Kai stopped to catch his breath, his eyes still trying to catch a glimpse of Rin in this large forest.

The sound of a girl giggling caught his attention as he regained his breath. Kai turned to look to the direction where the giggling had come from and was able to see familiar blonde hair running through the forest. He frowned, walking towards that direction, "Aya?"

"The spirit of these woods calls you, tamer of the crimson phoenix." A voice – Kai thought it sounded like a female's – whispered in the wind, causing the leaves on the ground to move in the direction Aya had been running towards. More child-like giggles were heard and Kai turned to see twin boys running in the same direction Aya had gone to. He had a feeling those boys had been Hikaru and Shun.

A small body bumped into him – a small 'oof' escaping the child's lips – and Kai looked down to see Tyson as a child. He frowned, taking in the appearance of his long-time rival. He looked like he did as a teen except his eyes were bigger and he was dressed in black robes with golden trimmings. On his head – where his cap should be – rested a black crown of thorns.