5: Haunted

Lost Temple of Deities, Heilongjiang, China

Seventeen years ago

"Go away, Mizushima," A seventeen year old Natasha Borkov said, turning to face the male that was following her. Haru Mizushima, currently eighteen, grinned at her, wrapping an arm around her. She smacked his hand away and Haru hissed in pain, holding said injured hand.

He pouted, "Come on, Nat."

Natasha narrowed her eyes at him, "Don't call me 'Nat'."

Haru rolled his eyes as Natasha turned away from him and began to walk down the darkness of the ancient temple, "What's up with you? Are you still mad because of all the pranks Susumu and I would do to you and Kana when we were kids? Because, for what it's worth, I'm sorry."

"You're insufferable, you stubborn mule. Leave me alone. I'm actually trying to work to help Bruce with his research. You should try doing the same." Natasha replied, gathering up her hair in a ponytail because it was hotter inside the temple than outside.

Haru sighed as he followed her deeper into the depths of the temple, "I'm not one that specializes in romances, you know. So I'm going to be straightforward and tell you that I like you and I want to have kids with you."

Natasha scoffed, "You really know how to make a girl swoon, Haru. Besides, wouldn't your darling Susumu get jealous? I would hate to come between such a lovely homosexual couple."

She giggled and Haru groaned loudly, "How many times do we have to tell you and Kana that we're not gay?! And, if I was, I wouldn't go out with Susumu freaking Hiwatari. Voltaire would probably kill me if that ever happened."

"Oh really?" She said, turning to face him with a large grin, "If I recall, Kana overheard your parents and Susumu's talking about you two getting married."

Haru paled and stared at her with a look of disgust and horror, "Oh, hell no! That is a lie, Borkov!"

"What makes you so sure, Mizushima?" Natasha teased as she turned to look forward and actually see where she was going.

"Voltaire doesn't want me as his son-in-law," Haru replied as Natasha stopped to look at the image of two phoenixes wrapped together, "And my father doesn't want Susumu as his son-in-law either. Voltaire adores Kana and wants her as a daughter-in-law. Susumu already has the plan that he'll marry Kana and they'll have a handsome and intelligent son named Kai and a beautiful and charming daughter named Raisa. I think that might happen soon, considering Susumu is planning on proposing to her."

"And does your father want me as his daughter-in-law?" Natasha asked. She was glad that Haru couldn't see the hopeful look on her face. It might reveal too much on her feelings for him.

Haru laughed nervously, scratching the back of head, "Not really. He and my mother don't like you. They call you a 'Russian wench'." Of course, that didn't mean that would stop him from trying to marry the fiery Russian. He rather liked her like that. A demure girl like Kana had no appeal to him.

"The nerve. I happen to come from a very prestigious family. The Borkovs are not to be taken lightly." Natasha replied coldly. Since he wasn't looking at her, Haru missed the sad and disappointed expression on the Russian girl's face.

Haru rolled his eyes, "You got lots of pride."

"I'm Russian." She replied, "I'm proud of my home country and my heritage. At least I'm not Japanese." She began to walk away, turning on the flashlight that she had taken out of her bag.

Haru stayed rooted on the spot for a couple of minutes, trying to see if she was going to take back her comment. When she didn't, he asked, "What do you mean by 'at least I'm not Japanese'?" He began to go after her, "I'll have you know, we Japanese have pride!"