10: It's Too Late

'Kai! Kai, wake up. I need you to go back.' A voice said to Kai. Kai opened his eyes to see he was floating in a dark place. He stood upright but he didn't feel a floor underneath him. He felt nothing. Where was he?

'Kai, you cannot fall. I know you have the strength to not fall.' Kai looked around, trying to find the source of the voice but he saw no one around. Who was it that was calling him? The voice sounded familiar but, at the same time, he did not recognize it. Who was it?

'Who are you?' Kai asked but his lips didn't move. Did he just speak telepathically? He didn't think that was possible. That brought upon another question, 'Where am I?'

'You are in your soul room, a place where we can meet. As for who I am. . . Don't you recognize the voice of your partner?' The voice said, the last part sounding giddy, 'After all, we've been partners for a very long time, even though this is the first time we've held a conversation.'

'My partner?' Kai wondered before he outstretched his hand, trying to reach out for the one that had always been by his side, 'Dranzer?'

A hand clasped Kai's and Kai's eyes widened when he saw a young man around his age materialize in front of him. The young man had two-toned hair just like he did. The front part of his hair was red but the back was white while his eyes were red like flames. He had majestic red wings that Kai recognized. This was his bit-beast. This was his partner Dranzer.

Dranzer smiled, 'It's nice to see you like this, Kai. I've waited for this moment for so long. Ever since we first met, I think. I'm glad that the day has arrived, partner. However, you must go back. You cannot remain here for too long. There are people that need your power to keep on going.'

'Do they really need me?' Kai questioned, looking away, 'I think that-.' He flinched when felt something hit his cheek and he was surprised when he realized it was because Dranzer had slapped him. 'What was that for?' Kai frowned, a hand resting on his abused cheek.

'That is not the Kai Hiwatari I have grown to know.' Dranzer said, eyes narrowed, 'Don't let Chaos's words get to you, alright? Night's right. Don't dwell in the past. Things happen for a reason, after all.'

'I-.' Dranzer slapped Kai again.

'Don't doubt yourself!' Dranzer huffed before his eyes softened, 'But, if you still doubt your strength, Kai . . . then believe in my strength. Without you, I am incomplete. Then again, I've been incomplete since the moment I separated and became two.'

Kai thought back to what Rin had told him about Dark Dranzer and Dranzer's relationship, 'You mean when you stopped being Suzaku and became Dark Dranzer and Dranzer?'

Dranzer nodded, looking into the darkness that surrounded them, 'Once I stopped being Hikari-Suzaku and started calling myself Dranzer, I thought I felt complete. I was a fool, of course. I needed my other half to be complete. That changed when we met. When I'm by your side, I don't feel incomplete. I've come to realize that's what a tamer and holy beast should feel. They should feel whole when they're together because that is what we do.'

Kai smiled and took Dranzer's hand, 'We complete the other.'

Dranzer nodded, 'So raise your head up high, Kai. Even if you doubt yourself, know that I don't doubt your power. I believe in your strength. So believe in mine, alright?'

Kai nodded, 'Yeah, I will.'

'Now that that's outta the way, it's time to wake up. We have work to do.'

~~~MIAB~~~

Bey City, Japan

When Kai finally came to, the first thing he noticed is that Aya was on top of him, as if she was shielding him with her body. He sat up, wincing in pain, and looked around. The area where they had been with the Forsaken Fallen was destroyed. The familiar bridge was in pieces. But Kai couldn't see Chaos, Nemesis, Hecate, Ann or Rin anywhere.