17: Comatose

Kai was standing alone in a green meadow that was too familiar for his tastes. It was the cursed meadow where Night had been killed because of him. He had caused the death of that gentle spirit that only wanted peace. He looked up to see cherry blossoms falling from the sky as if they were raindrops.

"Kai."

He turned around to see Night standing alone, some feet away from him. The spirit was dressed in a pure white kimono and wore a black scarf around his neck. Night smiled gently at him before speaking again, "He will not die, Kai. We will save Rin. You will not lose him or Tyson or anyone else. Do you understand?"

"Were you lying?" Kai asked, "Did you see your star nearing the star of death? I know you must have. That's why you didn't hesitate to use yourself as a human shield to save my life."

Night looked away, "I am sorry, Kai. I will not be able to show you how to read the stars like I promised you. And I am sorry that I did not help you save Tyson, Rin and the others. I am afraid I failed you."

Night looked so small and defenseless at that moment. Kai wanted to comfort him, much to his surprise. Then again, Night had always seemed like this powerful, omnipotent being that didn't need comfort. Now, he seemed so human that no one could confuse him for being a centuries old being.

Kai reached out a hand for him, "Night-."

The next moment, there was a black spike embedded on Night's chest, staining the white kimono with his crimson blood. Kai took a step back before he felt comforting hands wrap around his shoulders. He turned his head around slightly and was met with familiar auburn eyes that were warm even though the male's body felt as cold as ice.

"Don't cry, okay?" Tyson muttered weakly as Kai felt a tear roll down. He felt the arms around him tighten, comforting him, "I'm here for you. Please don't cry."

"Tyson, how can I not? Are you expecting me to be strong?" Kai whispered, his voice hoarse despite himself.

"If anyone can pretend to be a tough bastard, it's you." Tyson replied before he let go of Kai. Kai immediately turned around and grabbed Tyson's hand, making the blunette give out a sound of surprise. Kai felt himself gasp when he saw that Tyson was wearing the same clothes that Night had been wearing earlier. The younger teen smiled, placing a hand on Kai's cheek, "Everything's going to be okay, Kai. Just hang on for a while longer."

"What do you mean?"

Tyson shrugged, "You be the judge of that." The wielder of Dragoon began to glow, similar to the way Night had before he died. The next thing Kai knew, Tyson had turned into snow. Kai fell to his knees, a hand reaching out for someone who wasn't even there anymore.

"Are you going to be crying for us for a long time?"

Kai looked up to see Rin looking down at him. He was dressed in a black overcoat, black jeans and a black sweater. The only splash of color he had was the red scarf that Kai had made him when they were younger. His nose and cheeks were pink, a sign that he had been out in the cold for some time.

"Rin?"

Rin smiled in a manner that Kai missed, "Obviously. Come on, get up, zhar-phtitsa. You're better than that." He outstretched his hand and Kai felt a little relieved when he didn't vanish as soon as they made contact. Rin laughed, "You're such a pain, Kai. You made me come out here to find you."

"Sorry." Kai replied as Rin helped him up.

Rin waved his hand in a way that clearly said don't-mention-it, "If you're going to be a pain and not get up on your own, how do you expect to save us, huh?" Rin walked ahead before stopping, pulling his scarf over his nose, "You coming or not?"