14: Battle Cry

Granger Dojo, Bey City, Japan

Ray was the first one to wake up and it wasn't pleasant waking up to Daichi's foot on his face. He sighed and moved the limb away from him before sitting up. Everyone was asleep in a futon – even Kai, much to his surprise – and were spread out throughout the floor so Ray had to be careful to not step on anyone as he made his way out of the room.

Once outside, he heard humming and frowned. Who else could be awake at this time? He followed the humming until he was standing at the doorway of the kitchen. He could only see the back of the person but he instantly recognized the blonde hair. "Max?" Ray asked, "What are you doing here so early?"

"Huh?"

Ray took a step back when Max turned back to look at him as his eyes were white instead of the usual blue. He frowned as he stared at the currently-possessed body of his close friend, "Night? What are you doing?"

The ancient spirit smiled before motioning at the cooking supplies all around him, "I am preparing breakfast for you and the others. I figured I could help out and prepare the food. I hope you do not mind." He chuckled, scratching the back of his head, "This might be the first time I am cooking but I am giving it my best."

Ray grinned, his small fangs glinting, "Well, you could've just asked for help."

Night looked down, staring at the pancake he was making with intensity that Ray found odd, "I wanted it to be a surprise, hence the reason why Max is still asleep." His eyes softened before turning to Ray, "I am sorry. Am I inconveniencing you?"

Ray shook his head, "Not at all. Do you want any help with this?"

Night's face brightened, "Yes! Thank you so much, Ray!"

Ray began to make more pancake batter and watched Night out of the corner of his eye. The ancient spirit seemed happier than usual but his eyes looked sad, as if he had seen something that caused him great pain. He smiled sadly again before he felt Ray's eyes on him, "Is something wrong?"

Ray stared at him seriously, making Night falter in their eye contact. Ray spoke after a long silence, "Is something wrong, Night? You seem to be in a better mood than usual. That's something good but. . . Why do you seem so sad?"

Night lowered the heat before switching it off and sighed, "Ray, last night, I saw the stars move. Something terrible will come to pass soon. I hope that you and the others will be able to overcome this."

"Something terrible? Like what?"

Night closed his eyes, looking pensive, "Blood will be shed, a star will go out and I can feel overwhelming sadness approaching." He opened his eyes, sighing again, "I am afraid that someone close to us will breathe their last."

~~~MIAB~~~

Kai was floating in a world surrounded by darkness, Dranzer standing in front of him. He could see Dranzer was in pain, his hands resting over his heart while he was in a fetal position. What was going on with him? Was he suffering physically or emotionally? "Dranzer?" He whispered, reaching out for the spirit that was the one closest to his soul.

Dranzer looked back at him with saddened eyes before looking away. At that moment, Kai heard a noise behind him and turned around to see a girl running towards him, laughing good-naturedly. He blinked, staring at Dranzer to question who this featureless female was but the phoenix was gone. What was going on?

"Brother! Come here! Look what I have found!" The girl laughed before grabbing Kai's hand and leading him somewhere. Kai looked around and saw the darkness vanishing, becoming trees and bushes. He wasn't floating in darkness anymore; he was running in green grass. The girl around him starting to form features, red hair glinting in the sunlight that had appeared. Her eyes were red and sparkling with joy. A wide grin appeared in her face, followed by the appearance of a white tunic and bare feet and red wings.