16: Reluctant Heroes

Sasha's Meadow, Japan (August 3)

Time had stopped. It seemed as if the whole world had stopped revolving to witness this tragic and terrible moment. Even the Elders, who watched the events from their world, had stopped all proceedings and were watching this with rapt attention. The unthinkable, it seemed, had occurred.

In the human world, Third had a hand over her mouth, eyes wide and tears were already threatening to come down. Despite her wisdom, she had not foreseen this outcome and she knew no one else would've believed this would happen.

The humans that were bladers had regained enough consciousness to witness this moment and they, like everyone else, were shocked. Even the holy beasts known as the Forsaken Fallen were shocked. The whole world was silent, as if any noise would shatter this brief moment where reality did not exist.

The fragile thread of stability in the mind of a certain dark holy beast was shattered. There, floating in front of Kai, shielding the phoenix blader from the attack that would've killed him, was the holy beast known as Night.

"Night . . . ?" Kai asked, trembling despite himself. This was impossible, wasn't it?

Night turned his body slightly and smiled as if everything was alright when it wasn't, "I told you that I would protect you. All of you."

"Night, no." Chaos muttered before dissolving the coil that was embedded on Night's chest, along with the ones holding Kai on the air. As Night fell to the ground, Chaos caught him. The ancient holy beast was shaking his head, seeing all the blood on Night's body from all the wounds he had caused him, "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, Night. Don't worry! I'll get Third to heal you! You're going to be okay! D-Don't you dare close your eyes, okay?"

Night's eyes softened before he placed a hand on Chaos's, "Chaos, I should be the one apologizing. I am going to break our promise. Sorry."

"Shut up! You're going to be fine. You're not going to die, do you hear me?!" Chaos frantically told him before turning around to look at the devastated Third Elder, "Get over here and help him! Can't you see that he's dying! Save him!" When she shook her head weakly at him, Chaos let out a strangled cry, "You have to be able to save him! So do something!"

"Chaos, it is okay." Night smiled, placing a trembling hand on the other's cheek, "Please, do not cry." Chaos placed him slowly on the ground, feeling tears go down his eyes as he kneeled next to the dying beast. Night chuckled weakly, "I will get to see Erebus and the others soon, after all."

"Don't say that. . . I can't lose my light again." Chaos sobbed before he looked up, hearing noise. He glared at Kai, who was staring sadly at the bleeding Night as he walked closer, "Go away! Get away-!"

"Chaos, please." Night weakly said before reaching out a hand for Kai, "He is my friend too, after all." He turned his head slightly to see Max, Ray, Hilary and the others and smiled at them, "They all are. So please . . . for me . . . can everyone forget what is going on?"

"Night, why?" Kai asked before kneeling down next to Night, refusing to cry. He knew that Night understood what he meant with his question. He didn't need to elaborate.

"Because you are my friend, Kai." Night replied before looking up at the sky that was already turning dark. He smiled again, except this was a sad, forlorn smile, "You all are. I love everyone here, despite everything."

"Night . . ." Chaos buried his face in his hands, trembling. Night stared at Chaos with an expression Kai couldn't distinguish before opening his mouth:

"It was like a nightmare

And it's pain for me

Because nobody wants to die too fast