29: Epitaph

Chaos was ready. They could see it in his serious red-eyed stare as he touched his blade. He closed his eyes, remembering that Dark Dranzer had made this for him, his closest friend having said that it'd be an advantage during the battle and Chaos wished he had been right as Suzaku's own blade had been customized by him yet it hadn't helped him against Kai.

Nemesis, Hecate, Hades, Gaea, Ouranos, Tartarus, Dark Draciel, Dark Dragoon, Dark Driger and Dark Dranzer were gone, just like before. It hurt him to lose them again, after how hard they had tried to leave their seals. Gaea hated the dark confines and Chaos wished he had been able to protect her from them.

'I am a useless, worthless human being.'

Chaos blinked, looking up. He recognized that voice. How was he able to hear Takao when the male kept to himself in his bubble that Takao had created to not be near Chaos? He could hear the boy listing how inhumane he was, making Chaos wonder how badly he screwed the human for life.

'I am not a human. Humans have emotions and I do not. I am only Master's puppet.'

Once, long ago, he used to think that about himself. He had been conditioned to think that way by the Elders and it had only been thanks to Night – gentle Night who was dead because of him – that he started thinking highly about himself. Takao had no one.

Once this is over, you'll be free to see the stars, one way or another. Chaos thought, closing his eyes. It would all end now. Whether it'd be his end or humanity's, he did not know. But the end was coming.

Whose end was coming?

~~~MIAB~~~

Third was tired and that was obvious. They had never seen her look so tired as she did now. Fifteen looked just as tired, if not more, than her. The two had been at each other's throats for hours – days in some universes, weeks in others and there was a universe where a century had passed – and they were tired of it.

"Would anyone else wish to contribute to the case of Seventeen's fate?" First asked, looking tired as she tried to keep track of the current conversation and what was occurring in the battle against the Forsaken Fallen. She ran a hand through her hair before standing, "So, it has been settled?"

"This is utter bullshit." Third muttered, although, in the silent room, everyone heard her. She glared up at First Elder, "Are you really going to do this? She's your sister and you're willing to kill her for a sin she's not guilty of?"

"It's been decided, Third Elder," First said in a no-nonsense tone, eyes cold and serious. She looked down at her younger sister – who was sprawled on the floor and bound there by the chains – who looked younger now, reflecting how powerless she felt. She looked six, for crying out loud.

First unclenched her right hand and a silver staff that looked as if it had once been part of Yggdrasil appeared. She looked at all the Elders that were seated on their thrones and ignored the lone seat that belonged to Seventeen before pointing the staff on Seventeen's head.

"Seventeenth Elder, the Elders have decided that you are guilty of the actions of the holy beasts for gifting them with unnecessary emotions that have caused grief to humanity. Your punishment is death."

~~~MIAB~~~

Everyone walked up the stairs in silence and it was killing Aya on the inside. Riku had stopped crying, only staring ahead with dead eyes that she hated to see him have. Shun was now being carried by Hikaru – something everyone had protested but Hikaru had blown everyone off, saying he had every right to carry his little brother – while the unconscious Rin was being carried by Kai.