Kiss & Tell - [Part Thirty]

Kiss & Tell
Copyright ©
Kiss & Tell - [Part Thirty]

☯☯☯

Tell 'em it's good
Tell 'em okay
Don't do a goddamn thing they say

Heaven Knows - The Pretty Reckless

☯☯☯

"Your brother seems fine."

        I look back at Cody sitting in the backseat with a bag of ice on his face. The bruise was healing and everything seemed to be okay because he could scowl as soon as I twist my head even a few inches towards him.

       Scoffing, I retreat my face back to the front. "Yeah, he's okay."

      "He took a pretty good punch back there," Austin states.

      “He deserved it though,” I remind.

      “Aren’t you supposed to be the one who feels bad for him?” Austin asks, probably already knowing the answer.

        Before I could answer, Cody interrupts. He asks, irritably from the back, "Why are you guys talking as if I'm not here?!"

       I am about to reply with a simple shut up when Austin beats me to it. "Do you hear anything, babe?" He says, glancing at me with a confused expression.

       I relax in my seat, bending back and lifting my feet on the dashboard. "Nah, I don't hear anything." I smirk as I hear Cody mumble 'yeah yeah, you guys are hilarious. Go on pretending I don't exist. See if I give a damn.'

       After a few seconds of awkward silence, I order Austin to turn on the radio. He switches it on to a random pop song. The music fills the car and the tension slowly eases. I close my eyes and inaudibly move my head with the beat.

        The next thing I know is Austin shaking me awake. I must have fallen asleep on our way home. I see the backdoor slam and Cody head inside our house, the icepack thrown in a nearby garbage can.

         I sit straight, and glance at Austin. "Wait…how are you going to get home?" I ask, tiredly while rubbing my eyes. I had forgotten all about that. When Austin offered to drive me and Cody home, I hadn't resisted, just gone with the flow and let him take the drivers seat. Too caught up in seeing Austin, I hadn't wanted him to go just yet, I'll admit it.

        "I can walk," he says.

         I roll my eyes. "Yeah, and I can walk to Antarctica. Just drive me to your house and I can drive myself back."

        "Are you sure...?"

      "Yeah, why not? Let me just tell my mother. She's probably mad that it took us three hours to go to McDonald's."

      "Tell her you got lost," Austin suggests.

      "To McDonalds? I would if I don't go there everyday."

      Austin snorts. "And you say I'm fat."

    "That's because you are," I reply.

    "I'm not fat! I have muscles, you see," he lifts his shirt a little. "See this? All muscle!"

    "Nice–"

    "I knew you would like–"

    "–flab's."

    Austin glares. "Fine."

    "Fine?"

    "Yes, fine."

     "You mean like fine-Jasmine-wins-I-lose-fine?"

     Before Austin could reply, I hear the front door of our house slam open and see Mom standing under our porch light with two hands on her hips. My eyes widen. She's really mad for some reason. I just hoped it wasn’t because I had a guy in my car.

      I think she spots Austin because suddenly she starts walking towards the car. I'm frozen in my seat and so is Austin. Inside, I pray that she doesn't go crazy once she sees how Austin looks. With baggy shorts, a simple white tank-top, thick hair all over his head, an unshaven beard and a horrible mouth, I wouldn't want to see Austin face to face with my Mother.

      Once she gets to our car, she moves to the door, the one where Austin is at. She peers from the window, and knocks, impatiently. Austin quickly scrambles to open the lock.

     "Get out of the car, both of you," She says, or rather orders.

      We do. I move to the other side besides Austin. Mom looks at the both of us and seizes us up. She looks Austin up and down, and I could not see her approval or disapprove, but I could see the way Austin was fidgeting nervously. I honestly felt bad for him. I can tell he isn't the type of guy to meet the parents.

      Mom moves closer, until she's about a foot away from us. My heartbeat quickens. I didn't know what she'll do next because I've never been in this position. You know, with a guy that looks like he's been picked off the street and is an ex-convict. However, this profile should fit Caleb perfectly, not Austin. But to Mom, Caleb was the perfect rich boy and nothing else. Ha! She wouldn’t understand if I told her Austin’s okay, at least that’s what I thought.

      "Well aren't y'all the cutest couple I've ever seen!" Mom suddenly says, suddenly all bubbly, suddenly all jumpy and happy and hug-y.

        To say I was confused would be an understatement.