Chapter 18

"Tell me everything!" SaRang demanded as she plunked herself down in front of me.

It was Monday morning at the bookshop and it was my turn to man the counter. It was fairly quiet as it always was on Monday mornings so SaRang took the liberty to question me about my new 'relationship status'.

I shrugged, trying to make it seem like it was no big deal. Though inside I was practically bursting with joy.

"Like I said, he asked me to be his girlfriend."

SaRang rolled her eyes at me. "I know. I meant what happened before that. Like, what did you guys do at his dorm?"

I told SaRang everything that happened on that day. Starting from arriving at his place too early and meeting his friends up till the time we went to have dinner at the café and encountered those crazy girls.

"Hmm.." SaRang chewed on her lip, thinking through everything I told her. "There's something weird going on.."

"What do you mean?"

"I meant..like why were his friends so guarded when you showed up? Or why did he the feel the need to run from the cafe? Or why did those girls start chasing him? And who is this mysterious L? Something just doesn't add up.."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure you're just overthinking things."

"Am I? Look! I'm happy for you, Nana. Really. But Myungsoo seems to be keeping a lot of secrets and that will not be healthy in a relationship. And I'm pretty sure I've heard of someone called L somewhere."

I bit my lip as I processed everything SaRang said. I knew she was right but I wanted so much to trust in Myungsoo.

"What do you propose I do?" I asked her.

"CONFRONT HIM!" 

"I don't know how to do that!" I protested. "I don't want to mess up the first relationship I'm in! What if he gets mad at me?"

"Then he's not the right guy for you," SaRang said, putting her hand on my shoulder. "If he truly cares for you, he will tell you the truth. No secrets."

I sighed. "Fine, I'll ask him to tell me what's going on...when the time is right."

SaRang put her hands on her hips. "And when is the right time?" 

I shrugged. "I don't know. We haven't made any plans to hang out anytime soon so I don't even know when is the next time I'll see him."

Just then, my phone lit up with a new incoming text. "Speak of the devil.." I smiled, showing SaRang the text message.

Hey..I know this is not the ideal first date as a couple and it's kind of sudden but..I will be going on a trip to Jeju Island next weekend for a meeting and I was wondering if you wanna tag along? My meeting is only a few hours long and we will have the rest of our time to ourselves. What do you think? 

"Jeju Island!" SaRang exclaimed. 

"I don't mind. In fact, I've always wanted to go to Jeju," I shrugged.

SaRang stared at me with wide eyes. "You don't mind?"

"Don't worry, SaRang. I'll be fine. I promise," I assured her.

She sighed and stood up. "Fine. I trust you."

But just as she was walking off to get some books from the back of the shop, I could have sworn I heard her mutter under her breath.

"It's him I don't trust."