Chapter 16

Jack flies me downstairs and into the kitchen. I go over to the fridge and grab two pieces of leftover pizza. He stays with me as I eat them. I'm putting my plate away as I get another sharp pain in my side. I grab the counter and wait for it to pass. He grabs my arms. "November?" He asks.

"Jack its fine. I'm okay." I look at my arms and the sand is back around my wrists. I start to back away from Jack. He reaches for me.

"Jack no I'll end up hurting you," he continues to reach and the sand is going to my hands and he gets to close and the sand shoots out and hits him in the stomach. "Jack!" I scream. He stands up. He reaches for me again and I shake my head and run out the back door and towards the trees.

I can hear him scream for me as I hide in the shadows. He's frantic. He flies away, to the left and I breathe a sigh of relief.

Then I hear my name.

"November," the hissing voice says.

I turn around.

"Pitch," I say.

"Running away from your boyfriend?" He taunts.

I cross my arms. "I almost hurt him," I whisper, looking at the ground.

He laughs.

"Why can't you take it away? You want it, you can have it!" I scream.

Hopefully Jack is too far away to hear.

Pitch sneers. "I can't take it from you. If I do, you will die and the sand will be weaker."

I nod. "But I can use you," he says.

Sand comes around me and snatches my wrist. I gasp and try to tug away but I'm heading toward Pitch, who is laughing. Suddenly my hands turn grey. The sand wraps around my arms and goes down to my hands. It hits Pitch with full force. He screams and slams against the tree. I smile.

I stand over him. He tries to get up and back away and I shoot more sand at him until I'm empty. He lays on the show, breathing lightly. A wave of dizziness hits me as the last bit of sand leaves my hands. I hear Jack scream my name before I hit the snow and go to sleep.