Chapter 20

Jack pushes me behind him. He grips his staff in both hands. The horses don't move.

"North," Jack calls.

North comes out of the workshop and walks toward us. He doesn't notice the horses.

"Yes Jack?" He asks.

Jack says behind clenched teeth, "The trees." North looks over. He gasps at the sight.

"Tooth, Bunny, Sandy." He says loudly but calmly. They come out immediately. When they see the horses their eyes widen and they turn around, looking for Pitch probably.

"Jack," North says. "Get her out of here. We'll hold them off."

Quickly Jack scoops me up and darts off in the sky. As soon as he does, the horses begin to follow us. Sandy and Tooth go behind us and try to stop them and Bunny is throwing his boomerangs. North runs to his sleigh and fights from there.

The guardians are destroying multiple but it's not enough. They follow us until we're close to my house and they block Jack. Blackness is everywhere and he can't fly. He falls to the ground, me on top of him. His eyes close.

"Jack?" I ask, panicked. "Jack! You have to get up!"

No response.

Suddenly Pitch appears above us with a black bow and arrow.  He aims the arrow at Jack's chest.

Jack moans, fighting to get up. He finally does as soon as Pitch releases the arrow.

Because I never listen, I jump in between Jack and Pitch and the arrow sinks into my stomach.