8

Lilly's POV

"oh kitten." Derek says.

I know what he sees. I know why he seems upset. I even know why his face shows worry and sadness.

I cant bring myself to speak. My gaze seems to go on autopilot looking anywhere but his eyes.

"will you please tell us what going on?" Derek whispers trying not to stir me.

I shake my head.

"Please." Ricky begs me.

I put a finger to my mouth and make a shushing sound. Images play in my mind. The people who gave me rules. The ones I fear.

The rules.
1. Don't talk
2. Keep your distance
3. Eat last
4. Sleep on the floor
5. Don't touch anyone

I lived by those rules. They are the reason I couldn't be with my mates. I wouldn't get to close to them but I stayed nearby, I didn't hunt on their grounds at all, I stayed in caves far away from them, I NEVER touched them.

"Kitten, can you write it down? We need to know." Nick says.

I shake my head. I pull away from Derek and stand by the bed. I put a finger to my lips.

Must not speak.

I shake my head again, fresh tears falling.

"Lilly..." Ricky breathes my name.

I feel my breathing speed up. Take a step back still shaking my head.

Distance yourself.

Ricky caught on to what I was doing. He stood up and tried to catch me before I left.

He's to slow.

Before they can catch me I leave running through the house into the trees. I hear them catching up. I climb a tree. Jumping from each of them, I lost them.

My scent is all over the trees, some might be old but I've been climbing more of them keeping my scent fresh just in case.

I keep running until I know they couldn't have followed me. I climb down from the tree. When I land I notice I shifted. I don't know when I did it. Must have been in the trees.

I walk a little longer till I see a stream. I drink some water. The smooth rocks under my paws feel nice.

The sun is starting to rise, almost cant believe I ran all night, almost.

I catch a scent. Multiple scents. I follow the seemingly familiar scents to a small camp, with different types of shifters packing up their things.

I yeowl to get their attention. All of the familiar faces turn my way. When they realize its me they smile.

Ricky's POV

"He is gone..." I say more to myself than anyone else.

Nick and Derek seem close to tears. I can already feel my tears slip past my chin. We ran trying to catch his scent or even his presence for 3 hours before we gave in knowing we lost him. We lost him almost immediately when he climbed a tree, it took only 10 minutes for him to loose us.

Nick comes to me wrapping his arms around me. Derek is on his knees now, his cheeks have their own set of fresh tears.

Lilly might not have spoken to us but we certainly did bond. He smiled the most when he was eating or playing at the river. Tricking him into taking a bath was sometimes a feat but it was fun. Now he has left. He ran from us. I cant tell if he is rejecting us or just scared.

I get on Derek's back in hopes I can calm him a little with the contact. We go back to Derek's house. His entire pack is waiting for him outside. They could probably feel his pain.

"Alpha! Whats wrong? Why do we feel this awfully painful feeling?" One of the older women asked panicking.

"Alpha?" Alec says worry stricken.

Derek doesn't say a word.

"He left." Is all I can manage.

"Who?" One of the other members asks.

"Lilly." Derek croaks.

Tears fall from Derek's chin landing on the ground. I pull him closer to me.
Nick cant even speak. He holds one of Derek's hands.

Derek pushes through the mass of people going to our room. "Alec please take care of the pack for a few days."

The moment we get in the room we curl up on the bed quietly sobbing holding each other as close as we can without hurting anyone.

~2 days later~

We haven't left the room for anything. None of us were hungry and we have a bathroom so there was absolutely no reason to. When someone knocked on the door no one so much as flinched. Eventually they gave up, but they always came back.

None of us have uttered a word. No one spoke and we barely slept. Derek and nick have me squished between them. This would be suffocating if I didn't find the position reassuring. It feels like if they let me go ill fall into an abyss.

We hear knocks on the door again. This time they say something. I almost didn't hear them. But I hear his name.
"We found Lilly."

Lilly's POV

I traveled with the shifters. They are all people who have helped me in the past. I'm the reason they all met. When I was wanting to share an especially great hunt I gathered them. It was similar to a party but I had fun. That party doesn't even compare to Derek's though.

I sigh. Thinking about my mates makes me depressed, but its a feeling I've gotten used to since I first found them. Seeing them for the first time was extremely happy and sad at the same time. I knew my mates. I had met each of them. I knew they had forgotten our meeting. Nick doesn't remember because he got tranquilized, Ricky doesn't remember because he went into a three day coma loosing all of his memories, Derek got into a hunting accident a few years later forgetting most of his childhood, bits and pieces remain. They might not remember but I do. We all met when I was 4, Ricky was five, Derek was ten, only god knows how old nick is, I swear he is ancient.