9

Lilly's POV

"Mamma, where are we going?" Normally I would get hit for speaking but we have been walking forever not saying a word.

"Somewhere Jun. Just keep walking." She says denying me an answer.

My feet hurt. I don't know how long we have been walking. She walks fast making it hard for my short little legs to keep up. She is only 5'5 but being 4 I super small.

We are in the woods. She wont tell me anything at all. I know we have to get back soon before we are left behind.

We get to a cliff, that oversees the ocean. "Isn't it pretty Jun?"

"Yes, mamma."

She grabs my arm pulling me up on her hip. This is the first time she has touched me in so long, I almost cry from happiness. She smiles, making me genuinely smile for the first time. She walks up to the edge.

"You know, you were born on a boat Jun, and your father was a very handsome man I met on a boat. I traveled by boat more than anything, and by the time I knew I was pregnant I couldn't get off of the boat. I had to give birth on a boat were my family would know you exist. Since you are not my mates child they would not accept you. I loved you when you were born. You didn't deserve this life, full of rules and treachery, you deserve to have a childhood. I'm sorry I couldn't give it to you." She hold me out and drops me.

Im not scared of heights at all, but falling is terrifying. The air rushing past me as I get closer to the water. My balance completely discarded. Its terrible.

I hit the water, and let me tell you that hurts like nothing else, and I've been beaten bloody.

I flail in the water. I've never been in water deeper than my knees so I never learned to swim.

I feel someone's hands wrap around my waist. Im being pulled down. I open my eyes to find the person who is trying to kill me.

I see a gorgeous little boy who looks just a little older than me. Except he has a mermaid tail. Is he a merman?

I shake my head. Pushing him I almost get out of his grasp. He pulls me under more. We are at the bottom. I'm barely conscious. He grabs a bottle and emptys it around my face. And I can breath.

"Usually you would have to drink it but there is so much water in your system it doesn't really matter." His voice is amazing. Reminds me of honey.

I don't speak.

"I guess your probably mute. I mean you didn't scream when falling from that height so its no surprise. Your such a pretty girl." He swims around me. I blush at the complement. I don't see a need to correct him. I am wearing a dress. Something about family tradition, but I think they were just making fun of me. "Anyway I suppose I should introduce myself. Im Ricky. Is there a way you can tell me your name?"

Ricky, such a nice name.

I nod my head, I might be young but I learned to read and write some things. My name being the first.

I take his hand and spell my name one letter at a time on his palm.

"J-u-n, Jun. That's a nice name but I feel like it doesn't suit you very much. You look more like a flower than a month." I smiled, that's something I've thought about before.

Now that I'm looking at him, I can tell. He is someone I want. If he were an object I would take him and keep him hidden away from people. But he is a person, well a person with a tail.

I write on his hand which I am still holding.

"M-e-r-m-a-i-d-?" He giggles "nope, sorry. I'm a siren. You know the ones who are scary and unsociable. Mermaids are nice and sweet."

If they are nice and sweet doesn't that still make him a mermaid?

"You know your heart makes a really pretty sound. Its so pleasant."

I'm surprised he thinks so. I'm pretty certain my family wanted it to stop completely.

I write more on his palm.

"Y-?... why what?" He looks confused. "Y-u-s-a-v-e-m-e-? Oh, I saved you because you sound nice. Your heart that is. My mother told me that if someone's heart sounds nice then I have to save them or I will regret it the rest of my life. But now she is gone." His face did a one eighty and if we weren't underwater I'm sure he would be crying.

I wrap my arms around him. Though he looks older he is quite small. He welcomes the comfort.

"Well that's enough. Here take these," he hands me the potions. "Come visit me tomorrow. I have to leave and the one I gave you earlier will wear off soon."

He shows me how to leave. "Well it was fun talking to you. Cant wait till tomorrow." I smile and he turns the prettiest shade of pink. "Hurry and go." His face is a little sad.

Distance yourself.

I flinch. I wave my hand and leave.

I get out of the water onto a beach. I turn around and wave at Ricky. He does a few jumps playing before he disappears.

"Cute~" I turn so fast I feel shooting pain in my neck.