Im not cocky

Me and Simon walk in silence to the school, heart beating out my chest. I'm sure Simon has just as much anxiety I have.

"Fag?" He asked voice hoarse and hands shaking as he pulled the pack of cigs from his hoodie.

"Dying for one."Simon hands me one and my royal blue lighter after he lit his and continued to walk in silent, "I'm terrified."

"Same." He took a long drag, "Im going to need something stronger than cigs to get me through this."

"I feel you." The looming grey building of our new school stares down at us as we approach, "How scary does that place look?"

"The gates of hell." Simon flicks the cigarette butt on the floor and sighs, "Ready?"

I take one more drag, "Not at all."

"Well let's go."

Each step I take closer the more terrified I feel. The more terrified I feel the more I want to run and go back to my parents but I can't leave Simon like that. He would have gave up everything for me. I won't leave Simon because without me he would be on the streets.

Maybe I should have said to my parents I'm not friends with Simon anymore and kept their money and provided for Simon. Well it's too late for that now, if only I had that idea sooner. It would have saved us all of this bullshit that's about to be thrown our way.

Walking at relatively fast pace we walk into the main reception, this is real. This feels a lot more official than our parents signing some forms. Me and Simon both look at each other, none of us want to ask what the fuck to do.

"Boys can I help you?" The receptionist asked.

"Well we're new." Simon croaked before putting on his mask of confidence, "We was just wondering what we need to do."

"Names?"

"Simon and Josh."

"Okay then boys." She took out two papers from her desk then handed them to us, "Timetable is their as well as a locker and code. Theirs no smoking, drinking, drugs or sex on school grounds. Don't act better than anyone unless you want to be beaten up and keep your shirts on. Any questions?"

"How do we know where everything is?" I asked.

"Theirs a map on the back of your timetable that should help you find your way around until you get a feel of the place."

"Thank you."

My hands shake as I turn over our timetable to find the map of the school. I'm dreading this.

"Confidence is key Josh." Simon whispered as we walked out reception into the crowded halls, "Don't seem like a easy target."

"Yes but don't be too cocky either." I mutter back, "We don't want everyone to hate us."

"I'm not cocky."

"Sure you are." I look back down at our map trying to work out where we are, "So let's find our form."

Authors note

I'm not sure how American schools work I'm assuming it's like British schools. You guys do have form right?

Also the fact I still have people reading and voting on this honestly shocks me. You don't understand how happy that makes me. I expected after coming back I would have to wait a while before I got reads again so I'm so shocked.

Hugs, kisses and peace ✌🏻