ch. five

"Twenty questions?" Ivy asked.

I nodded as I flopped on the bed. She stared at me in complete shock.

"He claimed it was a good way to become better friends." I laughed.

Ivy smiled back. "What'd he ask you?"

"Simple things." I responded. Ivy wasn't going to take that as an answer. I looked up and sighed. "He asked me about my childhood, my favorite things, and things I hate."

"I'm guessing Julie was at the top of your most hated things list." Ivy joked.

I pointed a finger at her and nodded. "You are completely right."

"I wonder why Ethan even dates her." She said shaking her head at her phone screen.

I looked at her with a shocked expression.

How does Ivy not know? She was so close to the twins and that group. I know something she doesn't. Does Ethan want people to know?

I left the idea of telling Ivy alone. "Yeah, she's such a bitch." I said awkwardly.

Ivy smiled at her phone screen before typing rapidly. I furrowed my brows at her and laughed.

"Who's texting you?" I asked.

She looked up. I could tell she was talking to someone she liked. We were best friends; she had to tell me.

It's the Best Friend Law.

She sighed and closed her eyes. After a dramatic pause, she muttered, "Grayson..."

My jaw almost hit the floor. "Grayson? Like Ethan's twin brother Grayson?"

Ivy nodded biting her lip. "Don't tell anyone, though!" She stood up. "Grayson and I want to keep this to ourselves for the time being. Don't even tell Ethan. I mean it, Hayden."

I nodded and pretended to zip my lips and throw away the key. She fell back down onto my bean bag and sighed.

We both sat down in our normal silence as we wasted our Saturday scrolling through social media and occasionally calling out the fake bitches on instagram.

In other words, we spent the afternoon as normal teen girls.

____

Ivy went home, Ethan scheduled another study session for tomorrow, and Wesley continued to blow up my phone. Mom and dad came home from the hospital in Mexico and greeted me with a cute blue sweatshirt.

Another sweatshirt from the same country. Yay.

We all sat down and ate the dinner I had prepared: caesar chicken salad. The table was silent except for the clanking of forks and plates.

Dad finally spoke up, "Hayden, how's that Wesley boy?"

As soon as he said his name, the house phone began to ring. I got up politely and went to retrieve it.

"Morrison house, Hayden Morrison speaking, may I help you?" My voice was proper and sweet.

Props to my mom.