ch. ten

I sat in chemistry beside Ivy as Mrs. Rogers explained the steps to our chemical experiments. I didn't listen. Neither did Ivy.

"Alright, get to foaming!" She cheered.

I turned to looked at Ivy as she pushed away at her phone screen smiling. Her smile was so genuine and pretty. I wish I would have one of those soon.

"Ivy?" I called as I slipped on my safety goggles.

She looked at me, then held up a finger. "One second."

I waited longer than twenty seconds. She locked her phone and put her safety goggles on, too.

"How's studying with Ethan?" Ivy asked reading the labels of out chemicals.

I set up the Bunsen Burner and sighed. "We don't even study. We either talk, make out, or argue."

"What's the problem with that?" Ivy smirked.

I raised my eyebrows and continued to heat up the Bunsen Burner. "That fact that my grade in history won't ever raise."

Ivy sighed. "Hayden, just study on your own. Ethan can tutor you any time you want him to."

"I need someone who understands the deeper meaning into the material. I can't just read the surface. The test is never about the surface of a topic." I laughed. I sat a beaker on top of the hot plate. "Besides, if I could study alone, I would study alone."

Ivy rolled her eyes. She poured a blue liquid into the beaker slowly. I watched intensely as the bottom of the beaker was filling nicely.

"Well, Grayson and I are going out this Friday." Ivy smiled.

"Where?" I asked.

She looked up at the front of the room at Mrs. Rogers. "He doesn't want to tell me. All he said was wear closed-toed shoes, shorts, and a t-shirt."

"Hm." I said looking at Ivy.

She nodded back and shrugged. "I just have to listen. Guess I'll have to save my black mini dress for another day."

We both laughed as she poured a see-through red liquid on top of the blue.

It began to bubble rapidly before shooting out of the top like a cannon. Ivy and I ducked under the lab table. Above our heads was a faint pop and the sound of other people screaming.

Mrs. Rogers scolded us. Ivy and I both tried to keep our laughter down.

Chemistry was too fun.

•••

At lunch, Ethan insisted that we sat at their table. It consisted of Jack, Cameron, Nate (when he's not suspended), Jack, Ella, Julie, and the twins. Ivy sat beside Grayson. I sat across from Ethan since Julie was occupying the only open spot beside him.

"Jack, are your parents okay with you throwing this party?" Julie asked flaunting herself on the table.

What a slut.

"They won't be home, so who cares?" Jack said aggravatedly taking a bite of his burger.

Julie giggled earning an eye roll from almost everyone at the table. I stared at her and just thought to myself all of the possible ways she ended up this way.

The only explanation I could see being true was that her mom was a prostitute, and it just rubbed off on her.

"Ethan, I need to talk to you." Julie said eyeing me down.

He looked at her and nodded. "Well, say it here. We are all friends."

I made eye contact with Ethan. He winked at me before stuffing a string of cheese into his mouth.