Chapter 2

School was following the same routine. As usual I sat by myself at a table in the corner of the cafeteria watching other people laughing with their friends. I stare at them longingly trying to hide the jealousy on my face. Anytime I would make friends it would usually be the new student. Eventually they would find out my place in the social hierarchy and stop talking to me. So I had eventually closed myself off and stopped trying to make friends.

After eating my lunch, I make my way towards the locker room to change into my gym clothes.

As soon as I get to my locker, I hear snickering and recognise the voice immediately. I turn around to see Veronica with Alice at one side and Amy on her other side both looking at me as if i was wearing a clown costume.

"So", Veronica started speaking, her whiny voice already giving me a headache. "We were just talking about who our mates might be, mine of course is gonna be Matt," Veronica says laughing as her friends join in. 

Matt Jefferson is the star of the football team and a complete hunk.  Him and Veronica would date and then break up after a month and then get back together, it was a cycle now. I know that Veronica only wants to be with Matt since his father is the Alpha of the pack in this town meaning that Matt would eventually become alpha.

I snapped back to reality as I heard Veronica's high shrill laugh. "I almost feel sorry for you," she said while twirling her blonde hair and cocking her head to the side. "When your mate finds out that you're his mate, he's gonna wonder why the moon goddess cursed him with such a terrible fate", Veronica says as her bitches start laughing with her and then walk away.

I just turned back and ignore her knowing she will make my life worse if I said anything back, like she did at the beginning of high school. I didn't want to think about it. 

Coach Sharon walks in and waits for everyone to pay attention. Coach Sharon had a muscular frame and short spiky blonde hair. "Girls, Coach Blake is not in today so we will be combining classes with the boys," Coach Sharon says as girls instantly started talking excitedly. 

However I was dreading this class more than before. The guys in this school would go easy on the other girls but when it came to me they would treat me like another guy. No mercy. 

.

.

.

After putting on my jogging bottoms and polo shirt. We make our way to the basketball courts to see the boys already standing there with Coach Sharon. All the girls were walking in resulting in some of the guys to wolf whistle causing the girls to giggle.

Coach Sharon cleared her throat as all of us stood around her. "Okay so the team captains will be Matt and Jenny" Coach Blake says as Matt and Jenny, the captain of the girls basketball team, step forward and start picking people to put in their teams.

As usual I was the last one standing and Matt reluctantly called me over, slightly annoyed that I had to be on his team. 

I made my way over towards him as he looked me up and down and rolled his eyes. I was tall but that still didn't help me in basketball. I had my long brunette hair put into a plait and pushed my glasses back so they wouldn't slide down my nose. My bright green eyes wide with anticipation. This time I was going to put effort into this. I wasn't going to embarrass myself. 

Jenny and Matt stood in the middle of the court while Coach Sharon went between them and threw the ball high in the air. Matt caught the ball and dodged past Jenny, bouncing the ball and dodged past other players towards the basket and made an attempt to score but was blocked by another guy Sam, who was Matts best friend, on the other team.

Sam then dribbles the ball past Matt and towards the other side of the court, towards me. Seeing my chance I stand waiting near the basket ready to block him. 

As he jumps up ready to shoot, I jump up attempting to block the ball but instead I am hit by the force of his body and also the force of a guy on our team who was also trying to block the ball and land on the floor on my back and watch Sam score the ball in the hoop.

I sit up trying to not cry from the pain in my back as everyone laughs at me. I look up to see Sam with a smug look on his face. Then I see Matt walking towards me, anger evident on his face. "What was that?", he says as he looks down at me, his eyes now a yellow colour, having trouble controlling his anger. 

Its just a game, why is he getting so angry. "I...I was just trying to help", I stutter as I see Matt getting angrier. "Well don't", he spat angrily and walked away. What a bitch, I cant believe I used to like him at the beginning of high school. Eventually I realised he was a jerk who only cared about his popularity.

'Fine I won't help then', I thought in my head as I got back up on my feet and ignored the laughs still coming from the other people. 

.

.

.

Throughout the game I had felt more of a spectator than a player which I was perfectly happy with. I'm not good at basketball and I never will be. 

Now the score was 6:6 so it was a draw and we had half a minute to get one more shot. I see Matt struggling to dribble the ball as he is being blocked by three people. Our team members were all being blocked by opposing team members except for me. 

Seeing as he has no choice he throws the ball quickly in my direction but due to my lack of attention and effort, I let it fly past me and someone on the opposing team catches it and dribbles the ball to the hoop and successfully scores. 

The buzzer goes off and the other team start high-fiving each other  and celebrate and the last thing I see is a very angry Matt walking towards me with yellow eyes and fur sprouting on his skin.