Chapter 15

"So did he say for how long you had to go to the pack meetings", Naya asks as we both walk towards the pack house. I drag my feet wanting to turn back. "Yeah he said until the end of the year, he didn't see as a punishment and thought it would be a good thing for me to go", I roll my eyes. "I mean at least Matt will be there right", Naya says trying to find the silver lining.

"Are you kidding, have u seen the way he's been acting lately, I feel like...like he's ashamed to be my mate", I say, my eyes starting to water. Naya stops walking and looks at me. "Em, you are so smart and beautiful and you're funny and you showed me kindness when no one else did at that school, Matt's very lucky to have you as his mate," Naya said. I feel touched by her words but it didn't reassure me completely. "Thanks Naya, I just wish Matt saw me like that", I say as we continue walking. "Don't worry Em, he will, soon enough, all mates eventually get together. As time goes on, it gets harder to live without your mate", Naya says reassuring me. We reach the front of the pack house. "Well I'm gonna go now, just stay in the corner and don't draw any attention to yourself and you'll be fine", Naya says laughing.

I laugh as well trying to mask my nervousness as I wave to Naya as she walked away. I take a deep breath and knock on the door hoping that no one answers. To my dismay after a few seconds, Kristine, Matts mother opens the door. "Hi Emerald, how are you dear, come in", Kristine says. I walk in feeling slightly calmer. Kristine was really nice and completely unlike Matt or his father. "I'm fine, thanks Kristine", I say trying to be nice. "Everyone's in here" Kristine says walking down the hallway and up to a door. Oh great, everyones already here. I hesitantly start walking, not wanting to face anyone. This was my social anxiety at its worst.

I reach the door and smile once at Kristine and open it. It's a huge room with a large table in the middle and about 20 people sitting around it and with Matt's father sitting at one end with Matt on his right side. I gulp remembering Matt's father. He wasn't the alpha of this pack for no reason, he stood at about 7 feet tall and had piercing blue eyes and dark brown hair. By now everyone in the room was quiet and staring at me with Matt giving me a puzzling look, I wasn't sure whether to stand there and wait for permission to be seated or to seat myself. I ended up making my way towards the only spare chair in the room, next to Matt. Everyone is looking at me, confused as to what I was doing there. I sit down and look down in my lap to avoid the attention I was getting. I guess no one was told I was coming.

"Everyone from now on, Emerald will be attending these meetings", Alpha Bennet says. "But she's a girl, what is she gonna do here", a man opposite me said to which other people nodded their heads in agreement. I felt offended but maybe I'll be stopped from coming at least. "Mr Jackson and me decided that this would be best for the Rivera family" Alpha Bennet explained, although it seemed like even he was a bit annoyed I had to be there.

"So, lets continue with our discussion, the pack party is tomorow and the Black Lunar pack will be here. There has been a feud between our two packs for generations and tomorow will be the day it will be put to rest as we will both be signing a peace treaty but this will be used as a distraction, to gain their trust and then we attack them when they least expect it, we kill off every single last one of them and take their resources and claim their land", Alpha Bennet laughs.

I am in shock and look to see everyone else's reaction but they are nodding in agreement. What's wrong with these people. "But you can't do that", I say, terrified of the idea. Alpha Bennet looks at me with an intimidating look but that still doesnt stop me. "I mean, you would kill off innocent people, women and children, for some land", I say my voice getting quieter with each word from the look Alpha Bennet was giving me.

It looked like he was controlling his anger. "Why don't you let us adults talk and just sit and listen quietly", Alpha Bennet's roaring voice fills the room. "You don't think they would do the same thing, this is what the world is like, kid, you always gotta be prepared, don't trust anyone, a peace treaty has no meaning", Alpha Bennet shouts. I get intimidated but I couldn't let him do this.

"What if the other pack isn't planning on attacking and actually wants peace", I say, in hopes someone will understand. The sound of Alpha Bennet slamming his fist on the table suddenly fills the room and causes me to jump. "That's it Rivera, get out of this room right now before I lose it", Alpha Bennet is seething with anger with Matt also looking at me with both anger and annoyance. I jump out of my seat, mirroring his anger.

"Fine, I'm not gonna sit here and casually plot the deaths of innocent people". I see Alpha Bennet clench his hands in anger and some fur grow but I turn around and walk straight out, I see Kristine outside the room probably curious about the fight. "I'm sorry Kristine, I'm leaving now", I say unable to look at her. I open the front door and am about to close it but the door opens again and Matt comes out and closes it. "What the hell Em, you can't talk to my dad like that". Great, now Matts having a go at me.

"Matt, you were listening to him, he was pretty much saying to slaughter innocent werewolves after getting them to think we want peace", I say, thinking everyone was crazy. "This is what hapens in the real world world Emerald, everything isn't sugar coated, yes it isn't moral but we have to do what's best for the pack and whatever the Alpha says", Matt says angrily back at me.

I shake my head in disagreement "I couldn't ever support something like that", I say. Matt sighs and turns around to go back in but looks back at me. "I really wish I could have had someone else as my mate, you're an embarrassment to me", Matt says and then goes inside. I stand there for a couple of seconds. That was the first time he said we were mates but...he said he was embarrassed of me. Those would be the last thing you would want to hear from your mate. Tears well up in my eyes and I change into my wolf form and run into the forest next to the pack house.