Chapter 2 - "Hottie"

I snapped out of my thoughts and went to class.

How old is she? I didn't know that she's in our school. Anyway, I studied yesterday, because we have a test today. I take my seat at the front desks and took out my notebook. I want to scan through all the work, before writing.

I open it and immediately realized that this isn't my handwriting. It must be the girl's notebook. This sucks because I don't have my notes. Ugh! I page to the front of the book.

B Gibson. Betty? Beatrice? Bianca? What could her name be? The teacher clears his throat and hands out the tests.

I couldn't concentrate while writing the test, all my mind could think of is how I'm going to return the book to her. She has mine too, so we'll just swap.

I hand in my test and continue with my normal school day. Maybe I should just have a peek. Just a little one, I just want to see what she uses the book for. No, I can't I'll feel so guilty about it. I turn to the second page, which has a few doodles, some photos and then I read the words I kind of expect

Dear Dumb Diary.

I close the book as soon as I saw those words. I can't just read through her personal things, I wouldn't want anyone to read mine.

I chucked the book in my backpack and decided that I'll give it to her, at her house. But what if she thinks that I read it? Will she believe me if I told her I didn't? I'll deal with it later...

"Have you seen the new girl in school?" Trent asks me, is he talking about B? I just shook my head. "She's smoking, do you think she has a boyfriend?" I shrug.

"Maybe," Trent and I have known each other from diaper time. He's one of my best friends. "How old is she anyway?"

"Well, from what I've heard she's about sixteen," Jasper said. She looks more mature to me. "I've heard that she kill-"

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late I had to run some errands," Stacy said taking a seat next to Trent.

She writes for the school's newspaper so she was probably busy with that. "It's like my job to interview the new kids in school, but let me tell you one thing. It's so hard to get anything out of that new girl." She sighs and takes a bite out of her pizza.

"You mean hottie over there?" Trent said pointing to the girl, and Stacy nods. She's already sitting at 'the popular' table. I didn't realize it at first, but she was staring at me this time, I felt stupid and looked the other way.

"Did she just- did you just- wait, is that the girl who gave you a ride?" Jasper asks, figuring out already. What a wise donkey. I nod, taking a bite out of my apple.

"Did you get her number?" Trent ask. No, but I got her diary. I shook my head, swallowing the food in my mouth. I could feel eyes on me.

"Why not?" Jasper questions.

"Because I'm not Trent-I-have-a-flirting-problem." We all start laughing, and I looked over at her and she was looking at me. As if to make me feel intimidated.

Trent always 'gets the girls'. Me, I suck at it. I can't even say more than five words to a girl without shuttering. Okay, all girls except Stacy, but she's like a sister to me.

"Is it just me or is she staring at James?" Stacy asks. I look back, but then she was talking to someone. Everyone still nodded. "Maybe she knows you."

"Then he would've remembered her, I think-" I didn't listen to the rest of their conversation. What if we know each other and I was just too young to remember it? No, I have a good memory, I would've remembered it.

Maybe I should give her a nickname so that I would stop talking (well, thinking) about her as a girl. I'll just say B, it's easy and short.

"So James, are you coming?" I shook my head. They are probably talking about parties, and I don't do parties. First off, it's the whole parents thing that won't let me go, and second, it's school.

I always have homework, projects, or studying. I really want a scholarship, because we don't have the money. Sure my dad works, but I also have an older brother who is in college.

My mom and dad's fights were always about: money or me. When my mom got pregnant with me, there was a bit of happiness in the house, but that didn't last at all.

"You sure? She'll be there since it's her welcome party." Trent says wiggling his eyebrows.

"I can't." Is all I say and they just nodded. The bell rings and I wish that lunch was a bit longer. We all depart our ways since I don't have English with either of them. English is actually an easy subject, for me. The teacher likes me and sometimes when I have gym, I can sit in his class, doing work. He's more like a father to me.

I took my regular seat at Mr. Anderson's desk. He and my parents were friends in high school, so he knows about their constant fighting. He offers me a smile as he hands out today's worksheet.

He's a pretty cool guy, and I can't believe that he's stuck in this place. Why would anyone not want to leave this hell hole? "Ah, you must be Ms. Gibson, please take a seat next to Mr. Brown."

It's the only open table and she has to sit next to me?

My hands shake when I'm trying to do my work. I don't know exactly why, but I'm sure it's the girl next to me. She is typing on her phone, not doing her work at all. I don't know what to say to her.

Now I know she's seventeen. Maybe I should just give her diary to her now, no that's dumb.

"Hey stranger," she said putting her phone away. "We didn't really introduce ourselves, I'm Bailey and you are?" Bailey, her name suits her.

"J-James." I said.

"Well James, it's nice to meet you... neighbor." She stood up as the bell rang.

Bailey, the bad girl, is my neighbor.

***

Song >> She's kinda hot by 5SOS

Question >> Would you rather go camping or go to the beach?

Chapter dedication >> samanthacassidy92