Chapter 32 - "Welcome home, brother"

Jasper and I spend the rest of the day together. It was fun catching up on everything. It's just like the old days.

As the time went by, I texted Carter and told her that we're having dinner with my family. That includes Jasper. He's like my brother.

Mom was busy cooking dinner and dad was out working. I'm still very proud of him. I thought that they were sleeping, but dad's been gone for hours, working. That surprised me, but I'm not disappointed or anything.

And going back to mom, she was running around like a chicken without a head. I tried to calm her and tell her that her food is fine, but it isn't. Jasper and I helped her out and we've made edible food.

She even cleaned the house, set the table, and did all the dishes. Alone. I was telling her that this wasn't a big deal, because we're only friends. That's why Jasper is also here, but that didn't help. I was starting to think that maybe it was something else.

She wanted to impress dad.

The doorbell rang and then mom started to freak out even more. If that's possible. Dad was trying to calm her so I opened the door.

Carter was smiling, "Hey." She said.

I waved and opened up the door. She greeted my parents, "Thanks for inviting me over." Mom blushed.

"It's a pleasure, I've- we've waited for this time so long." I wanted to run off but Carter handed her wine.

"My dad wouldn't let me leave without it." Mom took the bottle placing it on the table. She told us she would call us when dinner is ready.

Jasper came out of the bathroom, I wanted to introduce them to each other, but it was kind of impossible. "So you're the girl he's been dreaming about." I almost smacked him.

Carter blushed, "And you're the guy he's not been telling me about?" Jasper's smile dropped.

"Seriously James?" I just shrugged.

"I'm Carter," she stuck out her hand.

"I know." He mumbled, I punched his arm. "Jasper. His best friend." I think we all got the message.

There was an awkward silence, "Did you know that insomnia is usually for those who have a high IQ?" Carter said.

Jasper rolled his eyes, "Why?"

"Because they have a harder time switching off their brain."

"I mean why do we want to know that?" I glared at him. Carter asked where the restroom is and I told her.

"W-what the heck?" I yelled.

He shrugged, "That was so weird of her to give us a random fact. Why are you even friends with her?"

"Y-you know nothing." He glared.

"That's because you tell me nothing!"

"Y-you just met her!"

"Yeah, and I hate her! She's-"

"What's going on in here?" Mom is so angry I can see the steam coming out of her ears.

"He started it!" We both yelled.

"You two toddlers, you made her cry! I thought I taught you better Jameson! You too Jasper, go apologize to that girl." She pointed in the direction of the bathroom. "Now."

We both strolled and I knocked on the door, "Carter?" Jasper asked. "We're sorry. We didn't mean to-" I elbowed him. "Well I'm sorry, I guess I was just jealous of you because James is always out with someone else and never with me. I took it out on you and that was wrong of me. I was just getting tired of being invisible. So sorry." The door opened.

"It's okay, it's my fault too, I was mean. Something is going on at home and Bailey going missing just made it worse." Jasper gave her a hug which was so un-Jasper-like. But she returned it.

Mom called us for dinner and we all took a seat around the table. They were actually starting to get along and talked the entire time.

All Carter's facts impressed dad. Mom was enjoying it too. "So where do you get all your facts?" Mom asked.

"My dad reads them to me, well he used to. I prefer the psychology facts more, they are interesting." Everyone smiled.

"Tell us another one," Jasper said. It's funny because a few minutes ago he thought her facts are weird.

"Your mind can sense someone staring-" the front door opened.

Mom and dad both stood up from the table, "Look who's here!" Mom beamed. I frowned and the others too.

"Who?" Dad asks.

Connor placed his bags down, "Hello family, missed me?" Mom engulfed him with a hug. Dad gave him one too.

Mom introduced everyone quickly. So that's why she was so nervous, she knew he was coming. He then turned to me, "Aren't you going to say anything?"

"Welcome home, brother."

We all took our seats again, "Ow man how I missed mom's food." He ate further. "Lovely chick you got there Jamie." He whispered in my ear. I cringed.

"S-she's not my girlfriend." Carter and Jasper were having a conversation. Connor just gobbled his food down. I couldn't eat anymore.

"So what was that fact you were going to say again?" Dad asked Carter.

"Your mind can sense someone staring-"

"At you even when you sleep." Connor piped in. I consider it rude, but everyone seemed impressed. Well, I wasn't. "Smart girl. You read much?" She shook her head. "You want to become a psychologist or something?" He asked her.

"Yeah. Something like that."

"See, smart girl." He winked at her. Was that considered flirting? I don't know how to flirt, but he flirted with her. I don't know why, but it didn't make my blood boil like I thought it would.

"Thanks." She smiled. Or maybe it did.

The conversation went on about Connor and college. They all asked him how it is when he's coming back, and what he is studying. All the boring stuff, you know?

It almost seemed like they wouldn't leave that topic alone. Thank goodness Jasper asked something else that doesn't involve college.

"Do you have any facts?" Jasper asked.

"Depends on which facts you're talking about." Everyone laughed except for me. Connor noticed this, "Do you have a fact James?" I shook my head. I couldn't think of one right now. "Thought so."

Just then I lost it.

"F**k you Connor!" I said, standing up from my chair and running to my room. He always thinks he is better than me. And I hate him for it.

***

Chapter dedication >> Dedicated to my brother dianventer

Please share. Comment. Vote.