Chapter 26 - "She has changed you"

I was running, and being the klutz I am, I tripped over some rock of some sort, bringing down Bailey with me seeing that I was on her heels.

I tried to not fall on her, so I somehow managed to let her fall on me rather than the other way around. Kidding.

That would only happen in an extremely cliche book or movie, but this is reality. So what really happened was me tripping, but falling onto her. Must I say, I couldn't stop apologizing to her.

Especially when I saw scratches on her face. I felt really bad, "It's okay." She shook it off. But I can see right through her. It wasn't. I quirked an eyebrow up, "Fine," she admits. "My foot hurts a little." She took off her shoe, and any person could see that she sprained it.

She tries to walk on it but hissed in pain. I took her into my arms and she complained, "I can walk!" She said, squirming in my arms. "Put me down!" She yelled, hitting me. "Drop me now!"

So, I did what she asked and dropped her. I kept on walking, "Why did you do that?" She yelled.

"You said people never do what you want them to and if I recall you said I should drop you. I only did as you asked." She glared at me and folded her arms.

"Please," she mumbled.

I place a hand on my ear, "What was that? I didn't hear you." I mocked her but smiled all the way doing so.

"Can you carry me?" I shook my head. "I want you to carry me!" She said like a child. I shook my head again. She sighed in defeat. "I'm sorry for yelling at you James, but please carry me."

I walked over to her and placed her on my back. "Piggyback ride?" I ask her.

She said nothing until we were on the porch. "Aunty!" She yelled.

"Bailey, I've told you a thousand times to not- what happened?" She said sounding worried. Checking us both for more injuries.

"Mr. James Bond fell on me while doing one of his missions." Janica chuckled. Ha. Ha. Very funny Bailey.

"It sounds more like mission impossible." She said. I would've burst out laughing, but Bailey was in pain. "Well, there is nothing I can do about your foot, but if your dad finds-"

"He will not." She said hopping off my back. Janica took her to her room while I stood there. I should probably tell my mom that I'm fine. So I decided that I should call her.

"Hey, mom."

"James! Oh, my dear boy, we've been so worried. Are you okay?" I could hear the concern in her voice, it was laced with worry. But for some reason, I didn't care.

"Yes mom, that's why I called."

"Can we-" I ended the call just like the previous times she did that to me. I was getting sick of it, and I just wanted her to know I was fine.

Janica walked back into the room. I think she heard our conversation, well that is the only explanation for that face of hers.

"You're rude." That was all she said.

"Am not." I mocked her.

"Is too." She teased back. "The James I knew wouldn't have done that." I rolled my eyes.

"Well, I'm not the old James."

"She has changed you." I nodded. "I don't know if it's for better or worse, but that's something you need to find out for yourself." She patted my back and went outside to teach.

Man, I wish our school was like that.

She has changed you. I know she has. People have that effect on you. It really rubs off on you. If they're this bubbly optimistic person, you'll soon have more smiles in your life. But if they're so pessimistic about everything, that also makes you more negative.

In my opinion, relationships are like magnets. I know the opposites attract, but I don't believe personalities do, gender does.

If you two are completely different persons, you won't get along. You'll have nothing to talk about because you like different things and have nothing in common.

But if you're too alike, for example, both of you are very stubborn, you'll also not get along. Both have your own way of doing something and then you'll fight about it. Because both of you want it your own way.

So yes, you must have something in common, but you shouldn't be exactly alike or total opposites. That's my opinion on how I see it. And statistics show that you are more likely to marry someone similar to you than the opposite.

I throw myself down on the couch in her room. I don't normally have daytime naps, but those kids drained all my energy. I was exhausted to say the truth. "James." She whispered. "I really don't want to go back."

"Why?" I whispered back. I suddenly remembered that I have a date on Friday and today's Tuesday already.

"I want to run away." Over the sunset.

"Where to?" She grunted.

"Somewhere." Wow, that totally tells me where you want to go. "But I don't want you to tell anyone, not even Janica." Why would she tell me then?

"So you're just leaving?" She nodded.

"N-no. You can't leave. You have-"

"I don't belong here, James. I still have to find myself. That's why I moved to Chicago. To get away from everyone. I thought that I could leave everything behind, but then he just had to show up. It's final, I'm leaving." I nodded, not knowing what to say.

"When are you planning on leaving?" She sighed.

"As soon as possible, I was thinking about Friday. I just want my foot to heal."

She was dead serious about leaving. I can't just leave everything and everyone behind, but she's willing to risk it all? Where would she go to anyway?

"Can I come with you?" I wasn't planning to, I just wanted to find out more. Squeeze out all the information I could get, you know?

"No." I was surprised. "I'm not dragging you along. You have so much to do and learn." What?

"Are we at least gonna keep in touch?" What can I say? She is my friend after all and I care about my friend's wellbeing.

If she's not going to tell me where she's going, I just need to know if she's safe. Then I can also inform her family and friends and-

"No, James. But I have something planned."

***

Question >> Chocolate/Vanilla/Strawberry?

Chapter dedication >> samyakjain10

Don't forget to comment and vote!