Chapter 33 - "A riddle"

They kept banging on my door, but I wouldn't let anyone inside. My eyes drifted to the house next door. Bailey's room to be more specific. Her window is open, which is weird because Lisa always closes it.

I opened mine and then climbed to her window.

My eyes wandered to everything around me. It then landed on the sunflower painting. I took a seat right in front of it. Sunflowers? She also spray-painted sunflowers that night.

Why would she paint sunflowers?

I whacked my brain looking for answers. She has a bunch of CDs and mixtapes in her room. She also has a turntable with a lot of plates. I've always wanted one. My eyes scan over them.

One of them stood out more and I took it out.

I don't think that this is just a coincidence. She must've done this. I remembered asking her if I can come with her, and her telling me that she has something planned.

The record read Girls just wanna have fun, Cindy Lauper.

That's when it all clicked.

I want to be the one to walk in the sun.

She did give me a clue that night. I took out the plate and placed it in the player. I listened through the whole song, but I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. This is useless.

Getting tired I decided to take the plate to my room. Just for safekeeping.

I place the plate on my table. There was a gentle knock on my door. "James, it's me, Carter." I unlocked the door. She smiled, but I didn't return it. "I just want to tell you that I'm leaving."

I nodded, "I-I'll walk you out." Now I just feel like an idiot for storming off into my room. I walked Carter to the door and closed it behind me. "I-I'm so s-sorry about-" At that moment I couldn't get my words.

Maybe it was because I was stuttering too much or the fact that Carter's lips are on my own. She's kissing me. Oh my chocolate, I'm being kissed! Suddenly I opened my eyes, but I saw Bailey. I blinked and open again and saw Carter. My mind is playing tricks on me.

Carter pulled away flushed, "I understand James." She placed her hand on my cheek, "I'm proud of you." I frowned. "You stood up to him." She placed another kiss on my cheek.

I stood there for a few seconds then I remembered that I didn't say anything back. I was too shocked to.

"T-thanks."

"Text me." She said walking towards a car that just parked in the driveway. I think it's her father, and thank goodness he wasn't here two minutes earlier.

My mind registered. I have just been kissed!

Take that Connor! I slipped into the house, with a smile plastered on my face. Jasper was talking to my mom. My dad and brother were watching something on the television. "I'm staying over," Jasper said walking to the bathroom. He probably wants to take a shower.

Mom stood there with her arms crossed. She's mad. "I do not tolerate swearing in this household, James."

"I-I'm sorry."

Mom unfolded her arms, "It's okay James, I don't want to get that bar of soap and scrub your dirty mouth clean. You understand?"

"Y-yes." I mumbled.

"You should know better. I didn't raise you to talk like that. You should be glad I'm not punishing you. Dad wanted to ground you, but I let it slip. Only this time." I was shocked that my mom took my side for once.

It almost felt like she would only pick Connor's side. I felt special.

She then kept on talking, "But you should be nice to your brother." I almost groaned. "It's a shame that you two always fight. You were so close when you guys were younger." That was only because you weren't arguing with dad. "I'll talk to him, but you can't expect him to be nice if you're not. Do you understand?"

"Y-yes mom."

"Carter is a very smart girl." I nodded. "She's wife material." I blushed thinking about the kiss. "Be good to her." She kissed my temple and went to bed.

Connor and I drifted apart when he went to college. Not only that but my parents used to fight every night. Connor -because he's the eldest- would always protect me and tell me everything's alright.

That time I believed him.

I thought that it would get better. But then all of a sudden he was good at everything and I was the nobody.

I changed into my pajamas and Jasper already wore one of my T-shirts and his boxers. He literally has his own closet here. He was holding the plate in his hands, "What's this for?" He asked.

"B-Bailey," I said taking out my contacts and putting my glasses on.

"Have you played it?" I nodded. "And?" I shook my head. "Do you like Carter?" He asked all of the sudden. I shrugged, "I know she kissed you, I'm not stupid, James."

"W-why?"

"Just curious." He opened up the cover and checked inside. "I think it's a riddle." He hands it over to me.

Play the tune and you'll find it soon

Listen clearly you'll need good hearing

It starts when it ends.

Luckily I got a back up so you won't slack up

It opens up at day and closes at night

All will be reviewed once you're under the sunlight. -B

"Do you have any idea what that might be?" I shook my head. "Well, whatever it means it has to wait until tomorrow. I'm tired and I think we should get some rest." I nodded my head.

I was exhausted, to say the least.

As soon as that pillow hit my head it felt like my whole body melted and I was off to dreamland. The last thing on my head was spray-painted sunflowers. But somehow they burnt down.

I hope that isn't the start of a nightmare.

***

Chapter dedication >> Umiiee