Chapter 10 - "Pink carrots"

I just followed after Bailey.

I could smell and hear water. Okay, now I sound like a dog. I love the smell of rain, and that's what I smelled. The more we walked into this woods-like area, the more music I could hear.

Then I saw them. Lots of people.

"Hey," Bailey said placing an arm on my shoulder. "Don't be scared, they're really nice." I nodded. They looked our age and up.

That's why I smelt water, there are this huge waterfall and people in the lake. Some were talking, others were swimming and then there was alcohol. This is an awful combination, these dangerous rocks, and drunk teenagers don't go well.

She walked over to a group of people talking and I trailed behind her like a lost puppy, "Hey guys." She greeted everyone, "This is my friend, James."

A brunette girl gave me a hug, "He's so cute!" She said to Bailey, and I blushed. "I'm Carter." She greeted me. I smile, feeling stupid.

"H-hi."

"That's Xavier," Carter pointed to the guy Bailey is talking to. "And this is Piper," she said introducing me to a raven-headed girl. She was pretty, but she looked shy, unlike Carter and Bailey.

"N-nice you meet you." She smiled and walked away.

"Don't mind her, she just broke up with her boyfriend," Carter said whispering in my ear. I looked around but couldn't find Bailey. "You wanna jump?" Carter said.

"Pardon?"

"Jump, you know, off the cliff." Her eyes were lit up with excitement and all I could think of was the food rising up my throat. "I'll jump with you." She was convincing, but I don't think that's a good idea.

"Maybe later?" She nodded. Carter grabbed a beer out of a cooler and hand it to me.

"N-no, I don't drink." I refuse the drink.

"Oh come on James, we need to get you to loosen up. You're way too tight, you won't enjoy tonight." I stared at the drink in her hand. Then Bailey's words pop up in my head.

"Oh come on Jay, live once. Please? Don't do it for me, do it for yourself."

She's right, I won't admit it to her face, but she is. All those things she said in the car made me realize it.

I took the beer and opened it, taking a huge gulp of it, "There we go." Carter said. The taste was awful and I stopped. I smelt it and took a tiny sip, much better.

That's where it all started me taking one sip of the beer, then one can, two and then I lost count.

I just hung out with Carter, Piper, and another dude Flynn. We danced and swam. Played Marco Polo and then Spin the bottle with just dares.

The dares were mostly shots, asking for numbers and flirting. Carter slung her arm around me, "I dare you to jump off the cliff with me." We both stood up and walked to the edge of the rock.

I stared down and I could feel the alcohol coming up again, but I gulped it down. "When we jump we must say something, like pink carrots." I don't know why pink carrots, but I just went with it.

"Pink carrots!" We both yelled as we jumped. I can't describe the feeling I felt when I jumped. It was like flying for the first time but losing all your food in your stomach. I felt like I was going to barf from all the excitement.

When I resurfaced I searched for Carter and found her. She stared at me and I stared back at her. It was weird just seeing her, while I heard all the other people. But I could only see her.

She smiled and splashed me with water and I splashed back. She soon ran out and back to the others. "Maybe we should play truth or dare. Not just dares." Piper suggested.

"Why?" Flynn asked taking a sip of his can.

"Because I don't want to do more dares." She wined like a child, but then burst out in tears. Flynn excused himself, taking Piper home.

"As I said before, she is a wreck," Carter said taking a seat. "So tell me something no one knows about you James."

"I like to run," I said taking another sip of the cup in my hands.

"Nice," she said impressed. "I like to knit." We both start laughing. "I'm not a grandma, I just- ugh don't tell anyone." I nod. "So how did Bailey and you became friends?"

"I was running after the bus because I was late for school, and she offered me a ride." She looked surprised.

"That's so not like her."

"How did you guys meet?"

"One of our exes cheated on us with each other, we used to be enemies, but now we're friends." We talked, and drink more.

I was starting to get sleepy, and that's the only reason I kept drinking. Someone grabbed my arm and threw my drink away. I stared at Bailey and her angry face. She's so pretty, with her bright blue eyes and- she's mad.

"Why did you get him drunk?" She yelled and I just stared at her. They were talking and I poked her cheek.

"Are you real?" I asked.

"You're dumb when you're drunk." She said swatting my hand away. I laughed at whatever she said. She dragged me away and I waved at Carter.

"Did you know how mesmerizing your blue eyes are when you watch a comedy? That's like the only time I saw you smile."

"What?" she said buckling me.

"You heard me, you're so stunning right now that I want to kiss you." She took her seat in the car.

"Really?" She said with an amused face.

"Yes, you're the most interesting and coolest person I've ever met. I loved that bad aura of you and your bad ways. It's so tempting and I love that about you. You're like that last piece of cake everyone wants." She smiled.

"And you're drunk, you won't remember a thing." I rolled my eyes playfully.

"I promise I won't ever forget this," I bent forward and place a peck on her lips. I then turned around open the car door and got rid of all the alcohol in my body.

I fell asleep in the car, and the last thing I remembered was something about pink carrots.

***

Song >> On top of the world by Imagine Dragons

Question >> What's your favorite candy?

Chapter dedication >> Americaread789