Chapter 25 - "I like picnics"

I laid there still in the bed. I couldn't move. How? How did she find out? I thought nobody knew about it.

"I know you're not sleeping." I stayed silent. "Hey," she touched my shoulder. "I've picked up small clues, were you trying to hint it out?"

"No."

That was never my intention, I tried my best to hide it. She's- she just had to find out, didn't she?

"Why?" I ignored her. "Why did you want to kill yourself, James?" She was serious, not only could I hear it in her voice, but she said my name.

"Just drop it, Bailey!" She grabbed my hand, even though I just screamed at her.

"I completely understand, and I'll never judge you. Yes, I'll give you my opinion and my straightforward answer, but never make fun of you." She squeezed my hand, "I promise." I was really surprised by her words.

"I- well, I was jealous. That was the first reason. I had green eyes for Connor. He's just good at everything and- yeah. The second reason was my parents, they- they didn't care about me and all the arguments were always something about me."

I didn't realize that a tear rolled down my face, but Bailey wiped it away. "I felt like a mistake. Then also my friends, I just felt like they would be fine without me. Parker. Parker was also one and- you see I had a lot of reasons, okay?" She nodded.

"I understand." She comforted me.

"I just asked myself a simple question, what my purpose is and I couldn't answer it. I felt useless. Nobody understood what I was going through. To top everything off, I was bullied."

"When did you try to take your life?" I've never told anyone about it.

"About two years ago."

"Why didn't you tell anyone? Like your friends, brother, or just a teacher. Jay, I'm just glad you didn't succeed." I realized that our hands are still connected, but I didn't care. "Then what changed your mind?"

"Perspective, life is all about perspective. The way you see things." I've also got some inspiration from a pop star and started listening to music. "I realized how many people care for me and lastly I watched Kung Fu Panda with Jasper." She chuckled. "To make something special, you just have to believe it's special."

"Wow Jay, that's beautiful." I frown. "It almost sounded like an Oscar speech." We both laughed. "Okay, that's enough for tonight I have big plans for tomorrow. Night." She whispered.

I stood up and went to the couch.

"Night Bee."

• • •

Kids jumping on you was one way to start a day, let's just say my bones are broken.

They wanted to play so badly and I didn't sleep much. But nevertheless, I still got dressed and went out to play with them. They're really busybodies.

Making sandcastles, jumping on trampolines, and swimming in pools was the morning routine. That was what we did until Janica called us. Food. Mmm... just what I needed.

She handed me a picnic basket, "There is a nice spot up the hill." Janica said. Just then Bailey came into view with blankets. "Bailey can show you." I nodded and thanked her for the food.

So, that's how we ended up on top of a hill with kids running around and us enjoying the view. We didn't say a word to each other, I'm starting to think that comfortable silence is so overrated. "I like picnics." One of the kids said jumping onto my lap.

"Max, why don't you take the others so that you can go back to ma'am and start with today's lesson." He hugged us, before taking the lead. All of them sprinting away.

"They really like you," I tell her.

She huffed, "Yeah, but that's only because they're kids."

"Is not." She chuckled. "I promise they're not the only people on this earth that like you."

"Ha. Ha. James, not working. I'm so not falling for the 'You're special' and 'Someone out there loves you'. Because it's bull." She said sarcastically.

"Stop," I said. "Why are you always saying that?" She shrugged. "You and I both know that's not true." She rolled her eyes.

"See." She pointed out. "That's exactly what I mean." She started folding up the blankets. "I don't need your pity."

"I do not pity you," I said picking up a blanket. "I'm telling you." She took the other end.

"Well James, maybe I don't want that. That's what I hate, people think they always know what I want. They just do what they want for me." She walked over to me taking it and folding it.

"That's because you don't know what you want." She froze. "It's true, you think you know but actually you don't. That's the reason why you're here, isn't it?" I asked her. She smacked me with the folded blanket.

"How dare you say that?" She smacked me again. I internally hiss in pain. Kidding. My grandma can hit harder than that.

"Ow," I said sarcastically. She hits me nonstop. "Ugh." Me not moving an inch. "I can't feel my arm." I joked. "Keep going." She started laughing.

"This. Is. Useless." She breathes out. She lets go of the blanket and started punching me. Which also has no effect on me. I grab her hands. "Why do you have to be so strong?" She complained. I chuckled.

Her squirms of trying to get loose were slowly coming to an end. She stared into my eyes, mine also not leaving hers. It really was like everything else froze and it was only me and her on this planet. I now realize how close she is to me.

I don't usually let people be in my personal space so much, but this was different. This was special.

I don't usually stare at people's eyes, but her blue eyes looked so different. I was drowning in them, stuck in the blue waves. It was like a blue paintball that burst open.

The way she always frowns. I've never noticed the way her mouth was shaped until now. The smirk she always has, and now the genuine smile that crept onto her lips.

Maybe it was just me beginning to realize what I've missed or just someone playing with me, but I couldn't stop staring.

That was until she suddenly pushed me away. "You're it!" She yelled, running away. I felt like a dog running after his stick. But what can I say, I was enjoying the chase.

But never will I fully understand Bailey Gibson.

***

Question >> Tea or coffee? (Do you guys like the new cover?)

Chapter dedication >> AngelinaPetchinsky9

Happy new year everyone!! ❤️2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣8️⃣ 😱😱😱 I can't believe it