Chapter 43 - "Nasty stuff"

James

It was about lunchtime when we decided to finally get on the road. I thanked Simoné for everything she's done for us.

The puppy got a blanket and I made sure to keep him in there. He won't be getting any food for the road.

My phone kept on buzzing and saw it was texts from my mom. Jasper must've told her something. I ignored it, but after a while, Parker spoke up. "Maybe you should take it."

I took one hand off the steering wheel and then answered the call. "Hey, mom."

"Jameson Bradley Brown! This isn't the first time you haven't answered my calls! I am sick and tired of always calling after your ass. Where in the world are you? What's gotten into you, you never miss school? Explain yourself, mister."

"Mom, please I'm driving."

"Jameson! What have I told you about driving-"

"Mom, please I'll call you back." So I end the call. Parker raised his eyebrows at me. "I can't talk and drive." Does he really disapprove of me hanging up on my mom?

"Why don't you let me drive?"

I sighed, I guess I just can't wait to finally get all this over. "Fine. You can drive at the next pitstop." My stomach is already starting to growl.

But we would have to wait a bit.

My phone kept on chiming and I couldn't answer it. Like my mom taught me, no driving with a cellphone. 'Limit all your distractions James.'

Parker had a few minutes of sleep in when I saw a little diner. Perfect. I'm so ducking hungry right now.

I tried waking him up, but it's like asking a rock to move. Impossible.

After a while, he stirred and then opened his eyes. He rubbed his belly and climbed out of the car with the puppy in hand.

The waitress took us to a table and gave us menus. "Hey you little rascal, you need to sleep. You already ate this morning. Don't chew your blankie." Parker said to the puppy.

A man came walking our way, I read his name tag, Dan. Maybe he's just the manager?

"Have you folks been helped?" We both nodded. "Sir, we have a no pet policy."

"He's sleeping, and we can't leave him alone in the car," I told him. "He isn't bothering anyone."

"I understand Sir, but rules are rules."

"Listen here Dan," Parker said looking at the tag. "We've traveled a very long distance. Been through hell and back just to get here. This puppy-" he pointed at him. "Did horrible things. Now, don't you dare try to disturb him."

Dan looked at the little guy, "You don't know the things he can do when he's awake. Nasty stuff, I tell you." He slowly backed away.

"Yeah, okay. Enjoy your food."

Parker said it's pee break and he tried potty training the puppy.