Chapter 31 - "A very soft heart"

Carter left shortly after and I fell asleep minutes after.

It was very generous of her. I miss having a friend around to talk to. I grab a bowl and poured myself some cereal. Mom and dad slept in on Saturdays, so it was dead silent. While eating my breakfast someone knocks on the door.

I cursed walking to the front door and opening it. Stacy immediately squashed me and then smacked my arm. "What were you thinking?" She asked.

Trent also gave me a hug, "I missed you." He said putting me down on the ground. I smiled.

Jasper fiddled with his fingers and then looked up from the ground, "Hey James." He said softly.

"J-Jasper." I nodded my head and let them all in.

Trent ate my coco puffs and Stacy started scolding him, while he defended himself for not eating. Jasper stood there nervously, "They will never stop fighting, will they?" He said, I shook my head.

"Stace! That's mine!" He took the bowl back, and run around in the house away from Stacy. "Haha! Can't catch me now." He stuck his tongue out.

"Come back here!" The chase was on.

I took out another two bowls I motioned to them. He shook his head, but I fill them both with cereal. I poured some milk over one and started eating. Trent came running into the kitchen. He sat down on one of the stools, he takes the other bowl and just before it reached his mouth, Stacy grabbed it.

She munched on the cereal and they all started laughing. Trent pouted like a puppy asking for food and I slide the box towards him. I could almost see him waggle his tail.

It was quiet.

They didn't ask questions, but I'm sure someone told them everything. We all went up to my room and they played video games. I wasn't in the mood to play. My mind was just wandering around again.

Stacy and Trent kept on fighting like two five-year-olds. Jasper was winning all the games.

I stared out the window. It was strange seeing Bailey's room not full of life. She would always blast music, paint, dance around... have boys over. It was empty. Really empty without her.

Her room almost looked darker for some weird reason. I could see her painting on the wall. She would never show them to me. But I'm glad she finally hung them up. I couldn't stop staring, "Are you okay?" Jasper asked me.

There was only one direction in view through the mirror. I nodded my head and studied it further. It was a picture of sunflowers, almost the exact same as those she spray-painted that night. Oh, that night.

Someone waved their hands in front of my face. "James? Are you there?" I blinked and looked back at them. They were all looking at me with shocked faces. I just shrugged.

"What were you looking at?" Jasper asks.

"T-the painting," I pointed. "I don't know, s-something-"

"Yeah, you're right," Trent said. "It's absolutely awf-" I gave him a weird look. "Awfamazing. No wonder you were staring. Flower power." He said holding out his fist.

"N-no." He frowned. "That's not what I-I meant. Something is off." Jasper studied it.

"Why would she only have one painting, hanging in perfect view from here? I mean it almost looks as if she wanted you to see it." I nodded. That's exactly what I've been thinking about.

"Let's have a look," Stacy suggested.

"Ooo! I've been waiting for this so long, I've always wanted to be a spy." Trent rubbed his hands. "I have some cool gear in my car. We can use the rope to-"

"We're not breaking in stupid." Stacy smacked him again. "We ask Lisa."

Soon enough we rang the doorbell and Lisa opened it for us and I told her I left something. I felt bad lying to her, but I didn't have any other choice. The room that I slept in, is closed and that means that Mr. Gibson must be in there.

I'm afraid of that man.

I examined the painting, but nothing seems out of the ordinary. We patted it down, maybe there was something, but nothing.

This was hopeless. Absolutely hopeless.

We thanked Lisa and sat outside on the porch of my house.

"I never liked that painting anyway," Trent said folding his arms. Stacy gave him a glare. "I-I guess it's okay for a teenager." I almost glared at him. That is beautiful to me.

"Even the outline, she should've-" Jasper gave him a glare. "She couldn't have done it better. I'm hungry and tired." He yawned. "Can you take me home and tuck me into bed, Stace?" She blushed, but then try to hide it.

"You just woke up and you ate all that cereal." He pouted. "Fine. Bye James, I'll see you at school." She waved. "Oh and I've gotten all your homework, Jasper has it." I thanked her and she drove away with Trent.

"Where do you think she is?" I shrugged. I have no idea where she could be. Anywhere really.

"Your homework is on your table." We sat there in silence until Jasper talked again. "How was it? The week with her?"

"G-great." I smiled thinking about it.

"You always have fun when you are with her." I nodded because it is true. "So I've never got the chance to meet Carter."

"S-she's coming over." He nodded. "Y-you can stay," I suggested.

"Okay, do you think she'll like me?" I nodded. She isn't a very picky person. "James, you've been through a lot these couple of years. It must've been hard for you. I just want you to know that I'm always here, I'm not going anywhere."

"T-thanks."

"You can tell me anything. I don't want this girl to break your heart. I know I don't know her, but- you. James, you have a very soft heart. It's not a bad thing, but you let people in easily. I'm just warning you because I've seen what Bailey did." He took a breath.

"She left a scar." I frowned. "It's not stitched up and I don't want you to get hurt again."

***

Chapter dedication >> Dragonboy2k
Please go check out his first story! If you like Sci-fi and adventure. He just started writing and needs all the support and help he can get. Thanks :)

A/N >> Happy Valentine's day. ❤️ My favorite day of the year. (Note the sarcasm)