Chapter 21 - "A date?"

I don't know why, but I'm sure my palms are getting more sweaty. Maybe that's why my legs started shaking, and it wouldn't stop. I try to calm myself down by taking a deep breath.

She waves for me to come to join her, and I smile in return walking to her table. She jumped up and engulfed me with a hug. "I missed you so much!"

"Me too." I let go of the embrace and sat down opposite her.

Her smile was so contagious I couldn't stop smiling myself. "How've you been?" She asks looking at the menu.

"I-I'm...great." Lies. She looks up.

"Oh really?" I nod. "I've had their milkshakes and I think you would love it too." She motions for the waiter. "I want a chocolate milkshake and an extra cheese pizza please." The waiter writes it down and looks at me.

"I'll have the same." I also love chocolate milkshakes, something we have in common.

"So tell me more about yourself James." She said, folding her arms.

"Well, I-I have an older brother. I'm neighbors with Bailey's grandma and I don't have a pet." She chuckles.

"Why not?" My parents don't want one.

"I don't know."

"I'll get you a puppy for your birthday." And maybe it's because I let our goldfish die, by taking him for walks? Or the time Connor used our cat as his soccer goalie? That's so sweet of her.

"And you?" I ask to change the subject.

"Well, I live with my dad. I'm actually adopted. He raised me since the day I was born." My face becomes so funny but very emotional. "But don't worry I have a lovely family. My aunt is like my mom." I smile.

"I'm sorry." She waves it off. The waiter placed down our milkshakes.

"Don't be, my real parents are gone and my adopted mom died of cancer, but like I said aunt Skyler is the best." Aunt Skyler?

"I also have an aunt named Skyler, but she's just my mom's best friend. Is she married to Andrew Reynolds?" She nods.

"Yes! Oh, that's so cool. Did you know that there was a singer called James Brown? I might've googled your name and- yeah." This isn't the first time she gives me random facts. It's... cute.

"I didn't know that." Our pizza came and she dug in immediately. I didn't complain, because I was also hungry. Well, this wasn't the first time we went for a milkshake.

I paid for our food after having to debate about it. "Fine, then I'll pay for this."

"What?" She shook her head.

"No, I'm not telling you. First, you'll have to get in the car, and then I'll tell you." She smirked.

• • •

I take my shoes off and put the skates on. Carter looked a little bit nervous than she did a minute ago, but I'm really excited.

"Let's do this." She tried to sound confident. I nod in agreement.

I take my step on the ice and started skating around the rink. I was enjoying myself in my own world. Connor and I used to skate every vacation. Then I realize Carter is still hanging on the sides. I felt bad that I just left her hanging.

She had a stressed-out look on her face and was trying hard to stay on her feet. I skated to her and hold out my hand for her to take.

Carter stares at it for a moment, before accepting it and lets go of the railings. "Baby steps," I told her, showing that I'm taking small steps. She started moving along. "Now move your feet outward and drag it, like this." I showed her.

She nodded and tried it. After a few attempts, she let go of my hand and started skating all by herself.

"Look James, I'm doing it!" She skated past me.

"Yes, I see. You're a natural." She blushed and we skated further. We were doing tricks and everything until Carter started complaining about her feet, and I can feel blisters forming on mine.

So we decided that it's enough for today and gave our skates back.

"I got another idea." She said and jumped into the car. I didn't question and just went along with it. "Looks like Piper and Flynn would be joining us too."

• • •

"Bowling?" I ask. I've never been bowling before.

"Yeah, we come here a lot." Piper and Flynn came walking our way.

"Hey, guys!" We all greeted.

It's been a long time since I've seen them, but they're so fun and I don't mind.

Flynn suggested that we should play in teams. So Piper called debs on Flynn and I ended up with Carter. Everything was actually okay, except for the part that I've never gone bowling before.

Luckily Carter saw the look on my face and taught me the basics.

Let's just say I didn't do too bad, but we still lost. Carter was a pro, she got spares and strikes and I... well mine just hit one or none.

I actually thought that we would win, because Carter is really good. Flynn and Piper just made a better team. Next time I'm sure we'll do better, it was my first time. So, no hard feelings? I hope so.

Well, Carter didn't get mad at me for losing she just laughed her butt off every time I would say all types of food.

They all wanted ice cream, so we bought some. Piper was in a much better mood since the last time I was around her. She isn't actually that bad, and Flynn is cool too.

The whole time it feels like they wanted to tell us something, "Flynn and I are dating." Piper blurted out.

"What? That's amazing!" Carter embraced her with a hug. I just congratulated both of them.

"Yeah, but thanks so much for today. It was amazing." Flynn said, swinging an arm around Piper.

"Totally, we'll see you soon." She said, and they left.

Carter threw the cups away and smiled foolishly at me. I had fun today. Carter is driving me wild. But I kinda like it. She's a great teacher, I'm just a bad learner, I guess. So I would've failed my test. But all in all, I enjoyed it.

She slings an arm around me and leaned her head onto my shoulder. And I was actually okay with it.

"We should do this more often," I said.

"You mean like a date?" I nod.

"Yeah, why not."

***

Song >> Wild By Troye Sivan ft. Alessia Cara

Question >> What is your favorite color?

Chapter dedication >> IDKseeya