Chapter 11 - "Her number"

I woke up with a massive- no scratch that immense headache.

I don't think I've ever had this severe one before. I search around for my glasses, but the weird thing was that I could see without them.

I get out of bed and I realize that I still have last night's clothes on. I took a shower and got dressed, but the headache still wasn't gone.

Food always helps me, so I went downstairs. Lisa was making breakfast and I was so thankful for her. "M-morning," I said pouring myself some water.

"Good morning James, how'd you like your eggs?" I took an aspirin.

"Scrambled please." I sat down on the island stool and rub my head.

"You okay sweet?" I nod placing my head into my hands. I only now realize that Bailey is also in the kitchen, but she was washing the dishes. She took a plate and started eating. "Bailey Anne Gibson, what did you do to James?"

I started eating, "Nothing grandma, absolutely nothing." She chewed her food.

"I-I just don't feel so well, must've been something I ate." Lisa gave me an apologetic look.

"Or drank," Bailey muttered under her breathe.

"I packed your lunches, I'm off to the shops." She placed a kiss on my temple. "You better go to school young lady." She said to Bailey and then left.

"W-what happened last night?" She scoffed.

"You don't remember?" I shook my head. She muttered something about never forget. "Remember to take your contacts out." She said walking out of the kitchen but stopped at the door. "Come on, we have to get to school."

Contacts? I have contact lenses? I took them out and put my glasses on. It felt weird not wearing them.

• • •

English. Yay! I can finally relax. I took my seat and started reading. That's the advantage of doing work ahead.

Bailey didn't show up for class, and I started reading her Diary. Jasper took Bailey's seat, "What are you reading?" I closed the book.

"N-nothing." I lied.

"You shuttered, you never shutter when you talk to me." I felt guilty, "What are you hiding again?" I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"It's... Bailey's Diary." I showed him the book.

"What are you doing with it?"

"We switched accidentally."

"You must return it, wait, don't tell me you read it." I think my face was full of guilt. "You did?" He pulled on his hair, "Are you crazy? You have no right to read that." I know.

"Well, how was I supposed to give it back?" I snapped.

"What is wrong with you?" He said with a disgusted face. "You should give it back." I shook my head. "Then what's gonna happen when she finds out?"

"She won't." He ignored me for the rest of the period.

• • •

Stacy wasn't at our lunch table, she was busy with you guessed it, the paper. Jasper was still ignoring me, so he's somewhere and Trent is with some girl.

That left me alone.

So I went to the library. Second best place in the world, of course, my bed is number one.

I saw Bailey reading a book, and that surprised me so much. I would've never guessed that she is in the library busy reading a book.

I took a seat next to her, but her eyes remained on the pages. "W-what happened last night?"

"I told you, you won't remember." She said rolling her eyes.

"Remember w-what?"

"My dear James," She said placing a hand on my shoulder. "This morning's headache was the side effects of a hangover." I gaped.

"I-I got drunk?" I ask, and she nodded. "Why did you give me alcohol?"

"I didn't." She said reading on.

"T-then who did?"

"Well, you accepted someone who offered you a drink. It was probably Carter." She said flipping a page.

"C-Carter?" She nodded. "Who's that?"

"Oh, I don't know? Pink carrots perhaps?" She said with anger filled in her voice. Pink carrots? What is she talking about?

"H-how did I get home?"

"Someone took you home." She said. It was probably that Carter girl, oh Flappy bird I hope that I don't do stupid things when I'm drunk. Hopefully, I used my mind.

"I-I didn't do something stupid, did I?" She was silent for a moment. "And I hope I didn't kiss anyone, because that would be so gross." She shook her head.

"N-not that I know of, but you should ask Carter. Here," she hands me a piece of paper. "Her number." I took it, but I don't want it. I don't remember her, and that just makes me feel bad.

"O-okay."

"Have you found my book yet?"

"N-no, but I'll let you know. W-what does it look like?"

"It's just a plain black book, my name is written on the front page. It isn't much, but it's a special book. I've had it so long and- yeah. I think it's stolen because I can't find it anywhere."

"A-and what would you do if someone returned it?"

"As long as the person didn't read it, it's a personal book. Look... it's my diary. I need it back because that book is all I have left." I nod my head. "Thanks, Jay, I'm glad that I can count on you."

She stood up and smiled,  "We'll watch that movie I promise tonight, okay?" I nod. "Bye."

"B-bye."

I dial Jasper's number and he answered after the third ring. "What do you want?"

"Jasper I'm sorry, I know it wasn't right of me to keep and read it, but I didn't know what to do. I need your help in returning the book to her."

"Fine, why don't you just throw the book in her clothes or room? Like ask her if she searched it, and hopefully, she'll find it."

"You mean like hide it in her room?" I nod even though he couldn't see me.

"Yeah James, just don't get caught." I end the call and stared at the paper in my hands. I saved Carter's number so I can apologize for my behavior another time.

I still can't believe that I was drunk last night, but luckily I got her number. Maybe she can tell me more about it since I can't remember a thing I did or said.

***

Ask me a question >>

Question >> Oreo or Nutella?

Chapter dedication >> Corneventer

A/N >> Thanks so much for all the support guys! Please don't forget to comment and vote! ❤️