Chapter Nine

"All the hardest, coldest people you meet were once as soft as water, and that’s the tragedy of living."

POV OF CHLOE PAYNE

My dried tears crusted around my eyes, literally taking me a good five minutes to tear my eyes open. I took a deep breath, regaining as much composure as I could before wiping my stained make up off my face.

 On the other side of my door, sat my twin brother. I could hear his heavy breathing, he had been shouting and slamming on the door and eventually, I heard him collapse to the ground. It worried me, Leo acting this way. I was so used to him being so careless, not bothering to be over-protective of me.

 Ever since Rocco had come along, a lot of things have changed. I didn't like it. Honestly, lately everyone had been acting a bit strange-and I don't know if there was something in the air in this town-but everyone was so different. And of course, it worried the hell out of me.

 "Leo," I whispered, dropping to my knees, leaning my body on my shut bedroom door. Hopefully he hadn't fallen asleep; he had been resting there for a while.

 "What's wrong with you, Chloe?" The unmistakable disappointment laced in Leo's words made me feel guilty. He had every right to be mad at me, Leo and I didn't have secrets. I didn't answer, like something had got caught in my throat.

 "Talk to me, Chlo!" Leo raised his voice, his fist smashing down on the door again. "What happened to independent, strong willed, out going Chloe?! Because I haven't seen much of her since we got to this pathetic town!" I heard his fist hit the door again, the loud crack of the wood snapping echoing in the air.

 "She's taking a break." I replied, not realizing how distant and cold my voice sounded until after I finished speaking. It wasn't long until I heard Leo's footsteps trailing away from my room.

 And once again, I sat down on my bed, but this time, I tried to hold back the tears that were fighting to come out. I lost.

"-and I mean, where have you been? You didn't answer any of my calls! I was worried sick!"

 My eyes travelled up his body, making eye contact with him, knowing my expression wasn't friendly. I regretting it completely, showing up today, but I knew I couldn't miss another day of school. I wasn't gone for that long- I just took a two day break from reality, hiding out in my room.

 At least I drew a lot, my walls now covered in my artwork that I had spent almost 48 hours on.

 "Ron, calm down." I breathed out, looking away from him and back down at my sketchbook.

"You could of at least called me back," He sighed, sitting down next to me, slugging his arm over my shoulder and pulling me closer to him. I rolled my eyes, hiding it under my hair so no one would notice.

 I've never had a more persistent boyfriend. So what I didn't call him? I told him I was sick- and anyway, he wasn't even my boyfriend! To me, what we had was just a casual make out session, but a clingy guy like Ron would obviously take that the wrong way, and now- he'd walk me to all my classes, hold my hand, keep his arm wrapped around me and occasionally try to hold my books.

 It was getting annoying and weird. And kind of pathetic, but I was too nice to tell him to leave me alone- because he truly was one of the only friends I had left. Gwen and Steph had been ignoring me since I had got back, Steph running away and acting nervous before I asked her about the whole 'poison' incident while Gwen was just a complete bitch- but what's new?