Chapter Fifteen

"Say my name and hers in the same breath, I dare you to say they taste the same."

POV OF CHLOE PAYNE

“Are you not excited?” Mom questioned all of us, leaning into my father a bit. Calvin, Annabelle, Thomas, Leo and I were lined up on the couch staring at my parents with disbelief.

                “This is too much to take in,” Leo spoke, staring off into space. He was trying to comprehend what we had just been told. I couldn’t even process it all.

“But Annabelle! We’re going to miss you,” Thomas cried out, hugging his oldest sister tightly to him. Even though Annabelle was a complete idiot sometimes and she was only moving an hour away, I was going to miss her.

                “A job in New York City?” Calvin nodded his head in approval, “Well done.”

Annabelle smiled brightly, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. “Yeah, well the boss said I was totally perfect for the job. I’ll be a secretary to one of the biggest companies in NYC!”

“I’m proud of you,” I honestly told her, “But you better come back and visit!”

                She grinned down at me, “I will!”

As we all hugged my older sister, my mother made another announcement.

                “Chloe, since your birthday is coming up, your father and I wanted to surprise you with something.” She clapped her hands together and with excitement written all over her face, she grabbed my shoulders and stood me up.

                “Look outside!”

My head turned and I stared out the window. My mouth dropped open and I let out a scream of happiness. Jumping to my feet, I sprinted into my front yard where my baby, my horse was tied up to a post. I grabbed his halter, kissing his face.

                “Hi Rocky, hi baby,” I squealed, petting him in excitement. I watched him as he started to get antsy, probably dying for a ride. “How long has it been? Oh my I’ve missed you,”

                I heard my father’s chuckle behind me. With a huge smile on my face, I looked over my shoulder at him.

                “We wanted to make it up for you, because there’s more news,” My father’s smile dropped, “Unfortunately I have to go down to South Carolina for business. I’m going to miss your birthday, I’m really sorry. But your mother is going to be here, and I know we always have a celebration but this is very important.”

                Trying to hide my disappointment, I smiled. “That’s okay dad, don’t worry too much. I completely understand.” Then excitement ran through me, “But Rock’s here now! He’ll keep me company,” I kissed my horse’s nose again.

Leo stepped out from behind my father; holding up money is his hand. “You give Chloe a horse, and I get twenty bucks,”