Chapter Eighteen

"My mask of sanity is about to slip,"

Chapter Eighteen

Later in the day, I was dropped off at my house. It wasn't long after I laid down on my bed for me to fall asleep. After the sunset, I woke up. Feeling absolutely disgusting, I waddled down the stairs to get some water.

My mom and dad happened to be in the kitchen, a phone pressed against my mothers ear and my father sipped down the last couple of drops of a beer. I silently entered the room and filled up a glass of water without a word.

"Good morning," Dad laughed at me as I leaned back on the counter. I responded with a loud groan which made my mother turn her head behind me and laugh. "Annabelle's on the phone." Dad shrugged his eyebrows and rolled his eyes.

"Chloe just woke up," Mom said into the phone, "Do you want to speak to her?"

I shook my head violently at my moms suggestion, but it was too late and my mom handed me the phone. I glared at her and pressed it to my ear, giving Annabelle a very grumpy.

"Yeah?"

Her bright, loud voice rang from the other side. "Chlo! I haven't heard from you in so long! What's up?"

But before I could even answer, she went on.

"Well I just told mom about this, I don't know if she told you, but my boss," She purred into the phone, making me cringe. And Annabelle went off, like usual, bragging and purring about her great job and her fabulous apartment.

Eventually, she came back to the topic of her boss, claiming he was a young, attractive man that always flirted with her.

"He wants me, Chlo, I can tell. God, he's goregous, and every day after we have to stay late in the building together. The other night, I swear, he was coming onto me. Now next weekend we have to travel to Chicago for a business meeting- alone!"

"Oh," I carelessly mumbled back, "That's great Annabelle, really. Don't do anything you'd regret."

"I won't! Oh can I speak to mom again?" She nearly shouted in excitement. I nodded, handing the phone to mom quickly without even saying goodbye. I managed to make it upstairs with out having another run in with anyone in my family.

Collapsing on top of my bed, I could hear Thomas blasting his television from his room. My window was open, the curtains pulled to the side. It was dark outside but I could see Rocco's room right across from mine. His window also was open, and he happened to be in his room also.

The light shining from his room let me have a clear view of him. He was laying on his back, his eyes shut as he slept with his mouth slightly open. I couldn't hear if he was snoring, but I think he was breathing heavily. In that moment, he seemed so perfect. His white sheets made his dark skin seem a light shade of golden, his sculpted, muscular body finally seemed at ease.

I've never seen him so relaxed. And he was beautiful.

Dark curls rested on his forehead, large bare feet hanging off his bed slightly, a blanket tossed over his waist. I smiled softly to myself.

When I leaned back to look away, movement caught my eye. Realizing Rocco had just woken up and was now getting out of bed, I threw my head back and tried to hide, but managed to smack my head against the wall.

Not only did I really hurt my head and make a loud noise but I hissed in pain before I heard a throaty chuckle.

"Chloe?" Rocco called out, and I stopped moving and held my breath, hoping he'd walk away. My cheeks turn a bright red. "Are you enjoying yourself?"