Chapter Thirteen

"If I run just to know I'm free, don't let me leave."

POV OF CHLOE PAYNE

                  My arms wrapped tightly around my body. The wind blew chilled air into my face, making me feel even more irritated than I already did. Rocco's final words sent chills through my body, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. What did he mean? I would be his- like how the man in the city had said 'she'll be mine'.

                    "Lost in your thoughts?"

The masculine voice broke threw my thoughts, making me react like an idiot. I gasped, jumping backwards. Dark eyes peered into mine, and I ran my eyes over the tall male in front of me, knowing exact who it was.

   "Damon." I shook my head and kept walking. My tone was aggressive, which I felt bad about. He hadn't done anything wrong but I had been having a tough day.

His warm arm fell over my shoulders, pulling me in closer to him swiftly. "How are you, Chloe?" His playful tone had me on the edge. Damon was simply dangerous, at least that was what I thought. With a bounce of my shoulders, Damon's arm fell off me. His looks darkened in annoyance at my action.

         "I'm fine." I responded, once again with a harsh tone. Gently I bit my tongue to restrain myself from speaking. The last thing I wanted was to say something I'd regret- which I tended to do when I was upset.

Damon stepped in front of me, forcing me to stop walking. I noticed we stood in front of his house, Rocco climbing out of the slim black car parked in his driveway.

      "What's going on between you and my brother?" His voice was quiet enough that I strained to hear him, his face barely inches from mine. I watched his dark eyes with wonder.

"Nothing," I answered, speaking much louder than him. It wasn't like Rocco could actually hear us-who was leaning into his car, his back muscles tensed. He didn't look well.

         "Oh really?" Damon whispered, his voice still as quiet as before. "So you're not dating?"

                   I frowned. "No,"

Damon's face suddenly got too close for comfort. My heart began to race, beating so loudly that I was more then positive he could hear it. His lips stopped centimeters away from me, when a pained expression passed through his face. Before I could say a word, he crumpled to the ground.

              Once again, a gasped, watching him lay on the ground. My eyes moved up the figure stand over him, seeing Rocco huffing. His eyes moved to me, with a heated look, he lunged over his older brothers body and grabbed my arms.

"Are you alright?" The worried expression on his face made me confused. I stepped back, nodding. The sight of his unconscious brother in front of me had me ready to scream, but something made me hold it in.

         "He was going to harm you," Rocco seemed like he was explaining why he did what he did. His voice was calm; like knocking his brother out was okay. I scoffed, not really knowing how to react.

"He was going to kiss me," I countered, placing my shaking hands behind my back. Even though my voice was trembling, I still felt courageous for talking back to him.

 His obsidian orbs showed no emotion as he narrowed his eyes at me. "And you were okay with that?" The threat behind his words was caught, so I made sure to think over my next words. To say I was a bit afraid would be the understatement of the century.