Chapter Fourteen

"But me, I’m not a gamble, you can count on me to split. The love I sell you in the evening by the morning won’t exist."

POV OF CHLOE PAYNE

Aching, I was aching from my toes to my head. Heaviness kept me down and the moment I woke the fear wrapped around me and suffocated me down. A headache was accompanied by a bit of dizziness. When I managed to tear my eyes open, I began to soak in my surroundings.  

                “What hurts?”

I was startled, bouncing backwards at the husky voice. Turning my head to the left, I was staring into those dark eyes. He kneeled next to the bed, genuine concern displayed over his face. Either he was a very good actor or he cared. Probably the earlier.

                I tried to get farther away from Rocco, as I watched him and his every move. I did not trust him. Especially after what had happened yesterday.

The concern on his face disappeared and was replaced with a desperate one. He backed away from me slowly, raising his open palms in the air.

                “Can you give me the chance to explain?”

His question was stupid because he already knew the answer. I couldn’t even bare being in the same room as him. I stood up, but unfortunately wasn’t able to get off the bed without getting near him. So I stayed standing on the bed, my back pressed against the wall as I stared at him.

He didn’t move like a human. Something about him wasn’t right, he was different- I had always known that but he moved so much like an animal. Obviously something was wrong with him. He was psychotic.

Nearing the side of the bed closest to the door, I pressed my hands on the wall behind me, ready to push my body off the bed.

                “Stay away from me!” I screamed when he threw his body towards me, just as I went to lunge towards the door. Unfortunately he was faster than me so I crashed into his chest, before sprawling out on the bed below us. With one hand, Rocco grabbed one of my arms, pulling me up and pressing me to the wall. Both of his hands landed between my arms and my torso, pinning me there. He leaned in close to me, his breathing heavy. I stayed silent as he shut his eyes, calming himself down.

                I felt trapped and I didn’t like being restrained. Complete outrage took over my features and as I opened my mouth to scream like bloody murder- his eyes snapped open.

                “Chloe,” He hummed my name, and I couldn’t decide if I hated this monster speaking my name so gracefully, or if I secretly loved it. Terrified at my conflicting emotions, I tried to press myself as far from him as I could get.

                Instead of pressing his body on top of mine like I had expected- like he normally would do, Rocco stayed in his position and didn’t edge closer to me. Even though keeping me pressed to a wall wasn’t the most polite thing, it was better than being forced to mold my body to his.