The Flight

I feel hands on the side of my torso, shaking me from the peacefulness of sleep. I groan, rubbing my eyes open. Orange and pink sunlight streams in from my window beside my bed. I furrow my eyebrows, confused to why the sunlight has been dyed different colors when I see my mother standing near my bed.

"Mija, your airplane trip is in two hours. It's time to get up." Sinu warns, looking down at me sprawled out on my bed.

"You're joking, right?" I scoff, turning my body to look at my clock. "It's 3 am. I'm not getting up."

"Yes, you are." Mom protests, throwing my blankets off me. I whimper while the coldness of October chills my bones.

"No, I am not." I growl, snatching my sheets out of her hands. "I didn't pack my bag last night like you asked me to. I'm not leaving. I have a test today and a presentation I can't be late for."

"That doesn't matter, Camila." Sinu says, reaching behind her and pulling up the red suitcase I saw earlier up to my bedside. "All your grades will be transferred over and I came in and packed your bag for you."

"But I don't want to go!" I beg, glaring at my suitcase. "Why? At least give me some closure."

"I can't do that." Sinu dips her head, her eyes sorrowful. "I'm sorry."

"Then I'm not leaving without an explanation." I cross my arms, sitting up in my bed. My loose red pajama shirt hangs off one shoulder as I tilt my arms.

"Karla Cabello." Sinu says calmly, taking a deep breath. "We are leaving now. Get out of bed and get dressed."

"What about Sofi? Is she just staying here alone? She is too young for that." I remark snidely, narrowing my eyes.

"Sofi is already up and dressed like a good child to drive you to the airport." Sinu growls, her eyes becoming angry. "She is coming with us."

"So it is about me not being a good kid, isn't it?" I snap. "You just said she is a good child so what does that make me?"

"You are a good daughter, Camila." Sinu raises her voice, making me inwardly cower away. I hate when people yell at me.

"Then don't make me go!" I cry out, hugging myself tightly. "I never did anything wrong!"

As I rack my brain for things I could have messed up, my blood runs cold. What if my mother found out about my sexuality and that's why she is sending me to my father? No, that can't be it. I've never told anyone about that. It's impossible. It has to be something else.

"And you're right!" Sinu yells, making my bottom lip tremble. "But this isn't in my hands anymore!"

"I'm not leaving." I whisper, suddenly fearful of my mother's yelling tone. I hate it so much but I can't deal with raised voices and angry tempers.

"What did you say?" Sinu demands, her eyes hostile. I feel my body beginning to shake now under her gaze.

"I said I'm not going." I say a tiny bit louder, dropping my gaze in fear that I'll begin to cry.

"Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao!" Sinu practically screams, making tears prick in my eyes. I shut them quickly, trying to rid of the sadness. "Get up!"

"Okay." I whimper, standing up and walking past her. I keep my head low to hide the few tears trickling down my cheeks.

Taking this as an appropriate answer, Sinu leaves to let me get dressed. I slip off my pajamas and slide on a loose gray shirt with the number 7 on it and some tight blue jeans. I ruffle my hair in an attempt to look good. I frown at the output.