Fights & Gazes

My alarm blares in my ear, causing me to groan and roll over. I nuzzle my face into the pillow, exhaling loudly. I'm exhausted. Midnight frozen-yogurt-eating really doesn't look good on me.

I get out of bed and throw on some clothes lazily. A shirt, some jeans... I hope to God they match and look good. I run my fingers through my hair before stumbling downstairs.

Alejandro is downstairs, which is very strange because he is always at work by now. Once he sees me, his face goes hard. Oh, no...

"Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao." He snaps, standing up from his chair. He is clad in his work clothes so he must be planning to leave soon.

"Wow, you know my full name. Shocked." I grumble, grabbing a granola bar from inside the cabinet.

"Care to explain to me why you weren't here at 1 am?" Alejandro asks, keeping his voice light for now but I can tell it isn't going to last.

"Not really." I shrug, taking a big bite of my breakfast. I've been told that when I'm tired, I'm often grumpy. Hopefully, that will change. I hate feeling angry.

"Well, I care enough to worry. Now, tell me." Alejandro demands, his tone changing for the worse.

"I woke up because I got a call, okay?" I take another bite of my granola bar before saying my next sentence. "My friend wanted to get some fro-yo."

"So, you left without telling me?" Alejandro inquires innocently, his eyes narrowing at me.

"Sounds a lot like it, doesn't it?" I grumble, swallowing down the granola. I can see how angry I'm making Alejandro right now, but maybe he should stop keeping secrets from me.

But is that what I'm truly upset about?

"Young lady, stop with the attitude. I—" Alejandro then stops talking and sighs pitifully. "Look, I hate raising my voice at you."

"Then why are you?" I ask, grabbing my lunch sack and shoving it into my backpack.

"I was worried, mija. You left without a single word. What if something had happened to you? I wouldn't know where you were or how to help you." Alejandro's voice now sounds weak.

"I guess I didn't think about that." I admit, rubbing the back of my neck sheepishly. "I just wanted to get out."

"If you would of asked, I would of let you go." Alejandro tells me, his eyes sincere.

"I didn't want to wake you." I lower my eyes, feeling ashamed now. How could I have been so careless? What if something bad really did happen?

"I could've fallen back to sleep."

"Dinah brought me back home. She carried me back in." I recall, rubbing my chin. "Didn't you see us come back in? I mean, if you were up around that time."

"I went outside, in the back, to check around there for you. I was freaking out because I was given you and now I had lost you. Then, when I came back in, I heard the door closing. So I hurried back upstairs and you were in bed again." Alejandro explains, wringing his hands.

"Were you angry?" I ask hesitantly, lifting my eyes to meet my father's.

"No, not at first." He sighs. "I was relived that you were okay. Over time, I got angrier that you didn't tell me."

"I'm really sorry." I apologize.

"Well, so am I. I shouldn't have raised my voice at you. I'm just glad we were able to talk this out." Alejandro rests his hand on my shoulder.

"I feel the same way." I smile gently, finishing my granola bar and tossing away the wrapper. "But, why aren't you at work?"

"I wanted to wait until you woke up so we could talk." Alejandro says, letting me go. "I called into work and my boss said it was fine. I should really go now, though."