Little Sisters

"Camila!" A young lady with her black hair kept in a messy bun, I'm guessing Sarah, flings the door open. "Thank God, I was getting worried."

"About?" I ask softly, peering behind her into the house for any sign of Sofi.

"The little monster." She smiles teasingly and I realize she is referencing to my little sister. I giggle under my breath. "Come in, come in."

The older lady ushers me into her home, shutting the door behind us. I walk into the large living room, noting the staircase that spirals around the top of the kitchen. The walls are painted shades of orange and blue and everything is so clean cut.

"Sofi was probably watching for you from the window in her room and didn't come down immediately because she's stubborn. So she should be down in three, two, on—" loud footsteps clonking down the stairs cut her off.

"Kaki!" Sofi beams, jumping over the last three steps, giving me a slight heart attack.

"Sofi!" I yell equally as loud as her, getting on one knee and opening my arms wide to her. She crashes into me, her arms clasping around my neck. I envelope her in an embrace.

"I missed you." Sofi murmurs into my shoulder, exhaling loudly.

"I missed you, too." I tell her, rubbing circles in her back.

Sofi lingers for a second or two before bouncing back and grabbing my hands excitedly. "Have you met Aunty Sarah yet?" My little sister's adoring eyes look toward Sarah who is smiling fondly.

"Kind of." I admit, clenching my teeth together and stretching the corners of my lips to the side.

"That's alright." Sarah assures the smaller girl, ruffling her hair affectionately. "Why don't you bring Camila upstairs and show her around?"

"Okay!" Sofi beams, grabbing my hand and dragging me up the black stairs. The whole space between the upper floor and the kitchen is open with a simple, classy chandelier hanging down.

The wooden rails hug the naked side of the upper floor and Sofi brings me to the third door in the open area upstairs, pushing the green door open.

"This is my room." Sofi announces proudly, walking into the light gray room. Her bed is pushed into the corner, yellow bedding spilling over the side. A large white rug covers some of the wooden flooring. A few items are scattered about, sprinkling the white desk and floor. A large window sits on the left wall, covered by a slightly transparent white curtain.

"Reminds me of IKEA." I comment, smiling softly at the framed photo of Sofi and I on the wall.

"Is that good?" Sofi asks, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion.

"I mean, to me—yeah." I shrug, sitting down on her small bed. She happily sits next to me, her eyes focused to the window.

"Kaki..." Sofi says slowly, moving her eyes back to me. "Wh—?"

"I'm sorry." I blurt out, dipping my head. My guilt is starting to chew at the ends of my heart. "I should've called you more. I should've made time. But I didn't." I sigh, looking up at my little sister. "And everything with Mom... ugh, I should've taken the time. Are you mad?"

Sofi shakes her head. "No, I'm not mad. I was just upset. Scared—you know? We lost Mom and yeah, I have Sarah, but I just wanted you. You're my sister and I just needed you. Then suddenly, you were gone."

"I know, I'm sorry." I grab her hand, squeezing it tightly. "You didn't deserve this. Any of it. But at least, we're together now."

Sofi nods, resting her head on my shoulder. She then lifts her head and scoots closer to me, narrowing her eyes.