The Reason Behind It All

"Can I borrow Dinah again?" Normani asks as we exit the school after last period.

"Why do I feel like this is a bad idea?" I retort, lifting an eyebrow.

"Because it is. We need to discuss something important." Normani smirks, tapping her fingertips together in a malicious way.

"It better not be about me." I grumble, crossing my arms.

"It's not only about you..." Normani trails off, avoiding eye contact. I scoff. Unbelievable. "Anyway, can I have her?"

I'm about to respond with a solid 'no' because I don't like the idea of my friends meddling in my life without me but I see Lauren leave the gym before I can answer. "Yeah, sure."

"Please, Mila." Normani begs, jutting out her bottom lip. "We—Wait, yes?"

I laugh softly, nodding. "Bye." And with that, I run after Lauren. She must've already got the message that Normani and Dinah are hanging out instead of her and Normani because she's heading home.

"Lauren!" I shout, trampling through the half open door and grabbing onto the green eyed girl's backpack.

Lauren lets out a startled wince but she smiles when she turns to see me. "Hi, Camz."

"Where were you this morning?" I hum, trotting by her side. It all feels so natural yet completely new at the same time. It's like when someone asks for something for Christmas and they get what they asked for. Except I worked for Lauren.

"Sleeping." Lauren jokes, nudging my side gently. This gleam in her eyes is making my heart do strange things. But is it mutual?

"Wow, Lo. You had one job." I tease her, a smile creeping up on my lips. Lauren rolls her eyes dismissively.

"And that right there, Camz, is the reason why I don't have an actual job." Lauren smiles, swinging her arms as we walk.

If I didn't know Lauren as well as I do, I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong. She seems happy and lively but I can tell something is off. It may be the way she's walking or the way she's smiling but something isn't right.

Her eyes drop when I don't respond. She seems hesitate to make any contact with me. So, just to assure it's all well, I brush my fingertips against her hand.

I expect a sudden movement of her hand jerking away but she grabs onto mine. Squeezing my hand, she sighs into the brisk air. I can feel my heartbeat in my ears and my cheeks grow warm.

"How was your day?" Lauren unexpectedly asks, narrowing in all her attention on me. I look into her eyes; so undivided.

"It was good. Yours?" I hum, swinging our arms with the breeze. I could get used to this.

"Crappy," Lauren shrugs, dropping her eyes. She then slowly brings them up to meet my gaze. "Until a strange little shark number two whacked my backpack."

I let go of her hand to slap her arm. "Oh my god, Lauren! Dinah told you?"

"Yes," Lauren laughs, grinning widely. Her eyes sparkle like glitter in the sea of despair and darkness. "But it's cute."

"I put my heart and soul into that audition and all I got was shark number two." I pout, slumping my shoulders. Lauren grabs my hand again, slowly this time. She lets her fingers erupt against my palm before intertwining them with my own.

"I bet you were the best shark number two ever." Lauren says sincerely. Her gaze holds a fire I'd like to warm my hands with.

"That means a lot coming from the Lauren Jauregui." I emphasize 'the', making Lauren scoff.