Traditions & Mistletoes

"Camila!" Alejandro comes stomping into my room, singing my name loudly.

"What do you want?" I grumble, burying my face into my pillow.

"It's Christmas!" Alejandro sings, sitting on the side of my bed.

"Whatever..." I mutter but then I remember Lauren is supposed to come over around twelve o'clock for Christmas time. "What time is it?" I jump out of bed, almost knock the window out of my father by nearly kicking his chest.

"Eleven thirty?" He replies, confused. I grab my phone off the bedside table and begin to text Lauren back. "Oh..." he then hums knowingly.

"She'll be here in thirty minutes!" I exclaim, shooting him out of my room. "I'm going to get some clothes on and brush my teeth. You light the tree up and make sure you look nice for Lauren."

"Aye aye, captain." Alejandro salutes me, closing the door behind him.

I throw on a sweater and sweatpants. I fix my hair and brush my teeth and fetch Lauren's gift from my closet.

Hurrying down the stairs, I put the nicely wrapped box under the tree. Our tree has lots of strings of lights and numerous colorful ornaments sprinkle the branches.

I toss my phone on the couch right as it dings with a message. I put the present on the ground between my legs and begin to attach the card with some tape.

"Mija, your girl is texting you." Alejandro tells me, handing me my phone. "Are you guys official yet?"

I shake my head. "No, I just wanted to change her contact name because I thought it was cute." I look down at my phone.

One minute ago: My Girl: I just left. I'll see you soon, Camz.

My phone: Okay, see you soon, Lo. :))

"She will be here in a few." I tell my dad, getting up and hurrying into the kitchen to grab the plate of cookies. I set them on the coffee table.

I push Lauren's present back under the tree and sit down by my dad. He sets his hand on my knee and smiles at me.

"I'm proud of you, you know." He says, shaking my knee gently.

"For?" I ask, looking over at him.

"Being you and being happy after everything that happened." He explains.

I laugh, "you can thank Lauren for that." I say.

Alejandro is about to speak again when the doorbell rings.

"Lauren!" I yell, jumping up to get the door. My dad chuckles to himself at my enthusiasm.

I throw open the door and am met with bright green eyes.

"Merry Christmas, Camz!" Lauren beams, a grin wide on her face.

I immediately wrap my arms around her neck and she snakes hers around my waist.

"Merry Christmas, Lo." I murmur into her shoulder, relaxing into her chest.

"Good morning, Lauren." Alejandro appears next to us, smiling.

We let go of each other and Lauren smiles sheepishly at my dad. "Good morning, Alejandro." She hums.

"Come in, come in. Make yourself at home." He gestures us in and shuts the door behind us.

"Thank you for having me over today." Lauren thanks my father, dipping her head to him. "I'm sorry if I'm intruding—"

"Don't even worry about it." Dad assures her, patting her shoulder. "Nothing makes me happier than seeing my Mila happy like she is with you. So thank you."