Cookies, Pizza & Grins

"So, what are our plans for today?" Lauren hums, swinging her arms as we stroll to her house. She seems slightly nervous, but if I didn't know her the way I do, I wouldn't notice it.

"I'll ask my dad if he can order us pizza or something." I shrug, smiling softly to try and silently reassure the green eyed girl.

"Mm, pizza sounds good." Lauren shares wistfully, a smile tugging on the corners of her lips. "You know what I've been craving?"

"What?" I reply, curiosity dripping from my tone. I want to be the best host for Lauren when she is my guest. I want to treat her.

"Cookies." She answers, mischief gleaming in her deep eyes, pooling along the edges as hope.

"God, Lo. Now I'm craving them." I playfully shove her side, making her sway to the side gently. She giggles, flashing me a broad grin.

"Do you think we could bake some? I mean, if it's cool with your dad." Lauren suggests, dipping her head.

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind." I assure her as we approach her house. I follow her up her front step but when she turns around and sees that I'm still behind her, she freezes.

"Wait," she says, her tone urgent. She puts her hands out flat in front of her and I. "Just... stay down there."

"Al...right." I drawl, stepping back down, distancing myself from the door by a few feet, and clasping my hands together in front of me. "I'll be down here."

"Thank you." Lauren hums, digging out the keys to her house and unlocking the door. She hovers near the frame, not entering her house. "Hey, Mom. Uh—"

"Come in, dear." A feminine voice hollers from inside the house. "Don't be stranger."

"No, it's just that I was wondering if I could hang out with my friend." Lauren asks awkwardly, her features holding anticipation.

There is a pregnant pause. "Which friend?" The voice, I'm guessing is her mother, inquires, her tone cold.

"Camila." Lauren reluctantly replies, grimacing as she says my name. It shouldn't hurt as much as it does. Why does it look like she is in pain?

Lauren's mom scoffs. "Bring her in. Let me meet her."

"Maybe next time." Lauren stutters nervously, wringing her hands. "We are... in a rush."

Another pause. "Camila?" She hollers louder than normal. Lauren's face reflects pure terror at the sound of my name coming from her mother's mouth. "You out there?"

I cough sheepishly, hugging myself. "Yeah?" I answer back, getting on my tip-toes to peer into the house. I, however, can not see Lauren's mother.

"Are you two in a hurry?" She asks, her tone light and innocent.

Lauren whips her head toward me, pleading written all over her face. Fear glazes her eyes and she bites down on her bottom lip.

"Yes, we are." I lie, clenching my teeth. "My father is waiting for us."

"Hmm," the green eyed girl's mother grumbles. "Alright. Have fun. But not too much fun, Lauren." She emphasizes her daughter's name in a way that makes a chill run down my back.

Relief, like color, melts across her face. A crooked smile takes the fears' place. "Okay, Mami. I'll text you when we start home."

"You best."

Lauren happily hops off the front step, joining me at my side. "Come on, Camz. Let's go."

We start down the sidewalk, keeping, at least, a foot's distance between us. Sometimes, I'll sway closer to Lauren and her body will go rigid. I have to remind myself that she needs space and that she still isn't completely used to me.