The Effects Of Emerald Eyes

"What time is it?" Normani asks as Dinah proceeds to brush through my hair with her fingers.

I check my phone. "4:48 p.m." I reply, shoving my phone back into my pocket.

"Oooo, it's almost five!" Dinah squeals, standing up from my bed beside me. I frown at the loss of contact.

"Yeah, we have to leave so Lauren can come whisk you away." Normani says wistfully, flitting her hands around. "Plus, I have a hot date, as well."

Dinah rolls her eyes and scoffs. "Yeah, mhmm. If your date is those fried chicken wings at your house then sure."

"Whatever." Normani whacks Dinah's shoulder. "Want to over and share those wings with me?"

"Hell yeah!" Dinah grins, hugging me quickly before leaving my room. "Bye, Chancho! Have fun and stay safe!"

"Bye." I wave, even though they're gone. Nerves begin to fill my body. Oh god, what if Lauren and I's date goes horribly wrong? What if we see her parents on our date by chance? What if—?

My phone buzzes against my hip.

With clammy hands, I grab my phone. My eyes slowly scan the screen.

Right now: Emerald Eyes: I escaped Mother; I'm on my way. :) see you soon!

A wave of oh-my-god-I'm-going-on-a-date-Lauren-Jauregui washes over me. I wash my hands with cold water to rid of how warm and uncomfortable they are.

Running my hands through my hair, I stare at myself in the mirror. Oh jeez.

"Mila!" Alejandro calls from downstairs, making my heart spike. "Lauren is here for you!"

I frantically grab my (Lauren's) jacket, throwing it over my bare arms. I want to look good but it's December and catching a cold does not sound like fun.

Racing down the stairs, Alejandro catches a glimpse of me.

"Woah," he says when I grab the doorknob. "Where are you going dressed like that?"

"Uhhh, I don't know, actually." I ramble, flashing him a sheepish smile before I open the door. Stepping outside, I immediately shut it before my dad can ask anymore questions.

"Wow." Lauren breathes. "You look beautiful."

All my attention snaps to her. Her eyes are on me, taking in everything. Her pupils are very dilated in the haze of dark being cast from the sky.

Lauren looks stunning. Her hair is done all wavy and her eyes are brighter than normal. She wears a long sleeve white shirt that is hemmed up in a loose knot to reveal her belly button. She wears dark jeans with three buttons instead of a zipper.

"Wow yourself." I squeak out, forcing my eyes up to her's.

A warm smile spreads across Lauren's face, making me melt like snow.

"Shall we go?" Lauren gestures to the sidewalk. I nod, smiling.

We begin to walk away from my house. I look over to her. "Now can you tell me where we are going?"

A teasing smile plays along Lauren's lips. "No." She giggles when I pout.

"Come on!" I frown, crossing my arms.

"It's a surprise." Lauren tells me, dipping her head gently to meet my eyes with affection.

I try to act annoyed but a stubborn grin pulls at the corners of my lips. We walk side by side, our hands swinging next to each other.

It's like tension is crackling between them. Every time they grow farther away, it disperses, but whenever they're close, it's like a wild fire.

"You know," Lauren hums softly, catching my attention. "December is such a beautiful month."